Perimeter Institute PhD after PSI course

anik2503

Perimeter Institute PhD after PSI course

Post by anik2503 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:03 am

Hi,

I am seriously considering applying for Perimeter Institute PSI program.
1. How does the transition to PhD program from PSI program occur in Perimeter Institute?
2. What are the criteria for being qualified for PhD from PSI course?
3. How difficult/competitive is it to be qualified for PhD program from PSI course?
Thank you

Qwaps

Re: Perimeter Institute PhD after PSI course

Post by Qwaps » Fri May 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Hey, let me try to answer this.

1) You get a professor there to agree accepting you as a Ph.D. student during PSI, and .... that's pretty much it.
2) Read above? I guess you'd need decent/passing grades in most courses. I've heard Freddy is quite selective with his students.
3) If you want to go do Mathematical Physics with Kevin Costello in the same year many other students want to do the same thing... then I have some bad news for you, there's going to be serious competition, I'd wager. I think it's easier to work with some profs than with others (less competition and more open to students)

Remember that the first step for a Ph.D. in PI is to go to PSI, and that they select ~30 students for PSI each year. Don't be discouraged if you aren't selected.

anik2503

Re: Perimeter Institute PhD after PSI course

Post by anik2503 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:57 pm

Qwaps wrote:Hey, let me try to answer this.

1) You get a professor there to agree accepting you as a Ph.D. student during PSI, and .... that's pretty much it.
2) Read above? I guess you'd need decent/passing grades in most courses. I've heard Freddy is quite selective with his students.
3) If you want to go do Mathematical Physics with Kevin Costello in the same year many other students want to do the same thing... then I have some bad news for you, there's going to be serious competition, I'd wager. I think it's easier to work with some profs than with others (less competition and more open to students)

Remember that the first step for a Ph.D. in PI is to go to PSI, and that they select ~30 students for PSI each year. Don't be discouraged if you aren't selected.
Thank you very much for your reply. :)