Keep waiting for chicago(astro) or accepted by Minnesota?

phychaos
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:57 am

Keep waiting for chicago(astro) or accepted by Minnesota?

Postby phychaos » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:09 am

Hi, I am an international student coming from asia.

I am on the waiting list of astronomy of chicago and also have a TA offer from physics of minnesota.
Chicago is my first choice in the field I am interested in and they said I am high on the waiting list. But it may also become the situation that I have no place to go.
Is the probability is low to be pick out from chicago's waiting list?

I have only one day to make the decision to keep waiting for chicago(astro) or get accepted by Minnesota. But it is hard for me to decide.
Welcome for any suggestion. Thank you.

mathlete
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:22 am

Postby mathlete » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:04 pm

Accept Minnesota's offer and then if you get off the Chicago waitlist, withdraw from Minnesota.

graviton
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:03 pm

Postby graviton » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:27 pm

Yup. You don't want to lose your offer.

phychaos
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:57 am

Postby phychaos » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:09 pm

so if I get off the waitlist of chicago, I can tactly request minnesota to give me the needed written release? I was told by someone that it may do harm to the applicants coming from the same country next year and thus think such a thing don't happen often. Is it alright actually?

mathlete
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:22 am

Postby mathlete » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:45 pm

Well I wouldn't apply to Minnesota for a postdoc position, but I doubt they'll tell you you can't withdraw.

schmit.paul
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:48 pm

Postby schmit.paul » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:21 pm

some departments will grant decision extensions, though it may be too late to ask for one




Return to “School Selection”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests