High Energy Theory chances?

Alwes10

High Energy Theory chances?

Postby Alwes10 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:55 pm

I am an international student, did my UG degree in China, doing my Masters in a mid-tier university in US.

Undergraduate Institution: Good institute (dunno about reputation in US) in China.
General GRE: Q: 170 , V: 165, W: 4
Physics GRE: 990
Undergraduate GPA: Highest in class.
Masters GPA: 4.0/4.0
Letters: From what my recommenders have told me, they should be quite strong.
Research Experiences: 1 paper in High Energy Phenomenology in a good journal from the work I did during Masters.

Applying for High Energy Theory. Hence the nervousness.

Stony Brook
UT Austin
Harvard
Stanford
UMich
Cornell
UChicago
Yale

stronglycoupled

Re: High Energy Theory chances?

Postby stronglycoupled » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:23 am

I'm not sure if my response helps assuage your worries, but I really think you have a very strong shot at getting into any given school on your list. You have performed strongly on the PGRE; solid GPA; publication. Moreover, you're more mature as a Master's student, so you're more aware of your goals in PhD and what you wish to pursue, which I think would be a strong point in your SoP. I would personally say you have very good chances at Ann Arbor, Austin and Stony Brook. You'll probably get into at least one or two top-ten schools. Just out of curiosity, to whom are you applying at Ann Arbor? I would guess Aaron Pierce and Henriette Elvang?

Alwes10

Postby Alwes10 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:54 am

Elvang yea, and also Finn Larsen. Actually my list was tentative, might replace a couple of places. Thanks for your response :)

LovePassion

Postby LovePassion » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:25 pm

First of all, best of luck. You are certainly a competitive applicant and you have demonstrated competency, skills, determination, and grit; all important aspects in an applicant. But you can never be too sure. If you have more money to spare (or can borrow from a family member), I suggest you include a couple more schools to increase your chances. After all, high energy theory is quite competitive and results can sometimes be oddly unpredictable.

Return to “School Selection”