3.7GPA, 670 PGRE, school rankings?

LovePassion

3.7GPA, 670 PGRE, school rankings?

Post by LovePassion » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:45 pm

Hi, I have a 3.7GPA overall, in physics, and in math (double major in physics and math). I come from a no name liberal arts university with no graduate program in physics or math, I have 3 internships but in experimental work and with no publications. And yes I am a US student.

What rankings for physics graduate school can I apply to? I am interested in theoretical condensed matter physics (PhD of course). E.g., should apply to some top 10s, top 40s, top 100s,..? What are my chances?

Some points to consider in application:
- Roughly 3.7 GPA physics, 3.7 math, 3.7 overall (I tend to naturally get A- which is why I have a uniform distribution of grades lol)
- 670 PGRE (1st time), should have prepared earlier...
- 153/151 Quantitative and Reading portion of GRE (1st time) respectively, again should have prepared more.
- Self studied and guided independent project in group theory before I took abstract algebra. Other self study in advanced subject but not official.
- 3 internships in experimental physics in different fields, no publication.
- Domestic student.
- Honestly could have done much more but I was pouring my energy into experiment and random things rather than theory which I regret.
- Other awards, scholarships, accomplishments in competitions, none that will take you off your seat in particular.
Don't like to give specifics for the sake of privacy, but overall my application shows a personality of high ambition, energy, activity, and passion.
Last edited by LovePassion on Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TakeruK

Re: 3.7GPA, 990PGRE, school rankings?

Post by TakeruK » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:38 pm

I think a lot of applicants make the mistake of underestimating themselves based on stats and numbers. Admission is usually much more holistic based and you will be evaluated as a whole scientist/researcher. One of the really important things is to find a place where your fit will be good. In my opinion, anyone with a GPA above 3.5 should not have to worry about their GPA automatically getting them cut from any school. So, with your numbers, I would encourage you to apply to any program with any ranking where you would be a good fit. I'm not saying that anyone with GPA > 3.5 is necessarily going to be super competitive but GPA isn't the whole story so I think it's worth the time and energy and money to send in an application if you have at least 3.5 and there is a strong fit.

LovePassion

Re: 3.7GPA, 990PGRE, school rankings?

Post by LovePassion » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:05 pm

I screwed up big time. I thought I would get a 990 PGRE, got a 670 PGRE. I was overconfident and did not prepare enough, only filled out 71 questions on the exam and must have made a ton of mistakes. Same thing for the regular GRE, 153 and 151 for the quantitative and reading comprehension portions of the GRE. I did not prepare as much as I needed to and choked. Not in the most optimistic mood but I need someone with experience to give me advice about my options.

What tier should I aim for in theoretical condensed matter physics? Top 20s, 30s, 40s, ... 80s? I feel that I have a lot of untapped potential and the test scores do not accurately reflect that.

Some points to consider in application:
- Roughly 3.7 GPA physics, 3.7 math, 3.7 overall (I tend to naturally get A- which is why I have a uniform distribution of grades lol)
- 670 PGRE (1st time), should have prepared more...
- 153/151 Quantitative and Reading portion of GRE (1st time) respectively, again should have prepared more.
- Self studied and guided independent project in group theory before I took abstract algebra. Other self study in advanced subject but not official.
- 3 internships in experimental physics in different fields, no publication.
- Domestic student.
- Honestly could have done much more but I was pouring my energy into experiment and random things rather than theory which I regret.
- Other awards, scholarships, accomplishments in competitions, none that will take you off your seat in particular.
Don't like to give specifics for the sake of privacy, but overall my application shows a personality of high ambition, energy, activity, and passion.

Since I assumed in my original post that I would get a 990 PGRE and lacked a PGRE and GRE score at the time, I have updated a lot of information in the original post. Please give me advice according to my updated original post.