3.7GPA, 990PGRE, school rankings?

3.7GPA, 990PGRE, school rankings?

Postby LovePassion » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:45 pm

Hi, I have a 3.7GPA overall, in physics, and in math (double major in physics and math). I come from a no name liberal arts university with no graduate program in physics or math, I have 3 internships but in experimental work and with no publications. And yes I am a US student.

Suppose I get a 990PGRE in the upcoming test (I am pretty confident I will get it and I am studying like a mad man to ensure so), what rankings for physics graduate school can I apply to? I am interested in theoretical condensed matter physics (PhD of course). E.g., should apply to some top 10s, top 40s, top 100s,..? What are my chances?

Re: 3.7GPA, 990PGRE, school rankings?

Postby TakeruK » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:38 pm

I think a lot of applicants make the mistake of underestimating themselves based on stats and numbers. Admission is usually much more holistic based and you will be evaluated as a whole scientist/researcher. One of the really important things is to find a place where your fit will be good. In my opinion, anyone with a GPA above 3.5 should not have to worry about their GPA automatically getting them cut from any school. So, with your numbers, I would encourage you to apply to any program with any ranking where you would be a good fit. I'm not saying that anyone with GPA > 3.5 is necessarily going to be super competitive but GPA isn't the whole story so I think it's worth the time and energy and money to send in an application if you have at least 3.5 and there is a strong fit.

Return to “School Selection”