PGRE cut off in mid tier schools for international applicants

yellowforrest

PGRE cut off in mid tier schools for international applicants

Post by yellowforrest » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:38 pm

Although the query is honestly specific to my miserable performance in PGRE for an international student , the answer might help a few more.

I have an otherwise decent record with good grades in my master's (done at a leading research institute of India), 330 in GRE(Q167,V163,W4), extensive research experience in condensed matter theory, a first author paper in preparation which is to be sent for peer review soon (prl or prb). But my PGRE is quite low at 840.
Are there any grad schools, if at all, where a candidate like me will have a significant chance to get in? Or in other words is there generally any hard cut off even in the mid to bottom tier schools for international applicants?

Catria

Re: PGRE cut off in mid tier schools for international applicants

Post by Catria » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:34 am

CMT is a tough situation... you can always try a few schools ranked 20-40, maybe even 10-20.

yellowforrest

Post by yellowforrest » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:48 am

Thank you for helping me out. All I care about is getting an opportunity in first place. Would places like Univ of Pittsburgh, Univ of Florida or Florida State be a likely place for me to be selected? I don't mind getting into a place where I might just get one good guy to do the Ph.D with.
I think my questions are getting a bit nagging and it is not possible for anyone to tell the answers for certain. But I'd really appreciate if you can you help me getting a picture of the breadth of the universities I should be looking forward to. Few names in the top and the bottom end of the spectrum would suffice.

muke

Post by muke » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:07 am

You may want to go to the "applicant profiles and admission results" threads and the gradcafe to see where people with your scores ended up to go.