@Those who have been accepted

Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:19 am

@Those who have been accepted

Postby strange.attractor » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:11 am

It would be of great help if those who have been accepted in the university of their choice, cancel the application to the universities lower in their preference...

Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:03 am

Postby astroste » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:37 am

I agree

I have only one offer now so there is nothing I can do on this. I have applied 11 schools but only 2 gave rejections. It seems I am now waitlisted everywhere...

please cancel the app. where you dont want to go for sure.

it helps those people who are waiting for the second wave of offers =)

Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:05 am

Postby CPT » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:03 am

I agree guys ... now if only I'd get a second admit ...

But hang in there, I'm sure the second wave after March 15th will be just as massive as the first one, since most people get 3~4 admits, and can go to only one place ... :)

Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:19 am

Postby strange.attractor » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:06 pm

it seems that many in this forum have already got more than a couple of offers... i am still waiting for my 1st one!!! it would be great if you cancel your applications to the places you are not interested in...

Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:19 am

Postby shirazu » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:39 pm

I have been accepted to two, am all but rejected from one and haven't heard from three of the six schools to which I applied. The problem is that one of the two and probably others have open houses at the end of march, and I honestly don't want to make a decision until I visit each of the places I have been accepted (well, I might not visit my biggest safety school). So even if I decide right after visiting each my letter is not going to get there until the first week of April, and then there is going to be delay after that.

Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:13 pm

Postby 03D3bb » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:27 pm

I am waitlisted at three schools for astro and it really isn't fun to sit around and wait for them to make their decisions. It's hard to plan out trips to go out and visit schools that I have been accepted to when I'm sitting here checking me email 10 times a day just to see if I get an acceptance or rejection. So yes, if you got into your top choice, please tell all your safeties that you do not wish to attend so the rest of us can get out of limbo; because what is your safety is someone else's top choice.

Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:25 pm

Postby somebody » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:27 pm


Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:19 am


Postby strange.attractor » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:14 pm

Yes CPT, it seems that the 2nd round of offers around March 15th is going to be as numerous as the 1st round... It would thus be very helpful to people like us who haven't received any acceptance if those with multiple offers send their rejection the universities lower in their preference list...

Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:02 am

Postby Abell » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:12 am

*nods* PLEASE decline offers from the schools lower on your preference list. For my Ph.D. apps I've been wait listed EVERYWHERE except for Brown and U. of Wisconsin-Madison where I was flat out rejected.
Case Western Reserve U. - wait list (ouch.)
Ohio University - wait list (double ouch)
Ohio State University- wait list
Washington University in Saint Louis - (was accepted in January, told to apply for a fellowship and that even if I didn't get it would still be made an offer. LIES. wait list.)
So pretty please, do all of us wait listers a favor, and decline offers that you are not considering.

Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:53 pm

Postby kdub » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:34 pm

I understand how people on the wait list for some schools would want others to decline admission to schools that aren't their top choice, but I think that for the people who have multiple offers, it's really important to visit a school before making a decision. I've visited a couple schools that originally were not in my group of "top" choices, but they both impressed me so much to the point where if I did get into one of my top schools without having the chance to visit, I wouldn't go there. So yes, I feel the frustration of being on the wait list (I'm waitlisted at 3 schools myself), but let's not try to guilt people into making a hasty decision. This is probably the most important decision we'll have to make in our careers, and we should all spend as much time as we need to make the right choice.

Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:27 pm

Postby Quaoar » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:18 pm

I agree with kdub. I don't think its wise for people to withdraw their application to any institution until they have made a firm decision on where they are going. It's especially stupid to withdraw before visiting if you are on the fence.

I understand that it's very stressful to be on a bunch of waiting lists, but I'm not sure I like the tone of some of the people who are requesting others withdraw their applications. Those who have already been accepted should be looking after their own interests first and foremost.

Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:02 am

Postby Abell » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:42 am

i think you guys have misunderstood what's being requested. nobody suggested that any decisions should be made hastily...just that if you KNOW you're not likely to accept an offer, decline as soon as possible. it's the polite thing to do for both the schools and the other applicants. i don't think that's asking too much.

Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:53 pm

Postby kdub » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:55 pm

I agree that you should decline offers from a school if you are SURE you aren't going there. However, when people say "schools lower on your preference list", that implies to me that you are just talking about schools that aren't your top choice. And I am a strong believer now that you can't ever be SURE about a school until you visit it.

Return to “School Selection”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests