I think I made a silly mistake

uhurulol

I think I made a silly mistake

Post by uhurulol » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:49 pm

So I applied to Florida Institute of Technology. They had research in astronomy applicable to what I have experience in and what I wish to do in the future, and did not require the PGRE -- I figured my application stood a very good shot there, as they have high admission rates as well.

Somehow, I had the wrong information regarding their financial aid (or so it would seem):

http://www.gradschoolshopper.com/gradsc ... 9#tuitions

Can this really be true? A physics Ph.D. program with 9k/year TA spots and only partial tuition waivers? I admit that if this is true then I made a pretty bone-headed move by applying before confirming their financial aid packages.

It seems they offer a lot of their financial aid through FAFSA grants? Could that be what I'm missing from this equation? As I understand it, nobody should ever pay a dime out of pocket for physics graduate school aside from maybe a few fees.

McLovin

Re: I think I made a silly mistake

Post by McLovin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:57 pm

Their website seems kinda sketchy.

kangaroo

Post by kangaroo » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:44 pm

Well, you can always reject them.

uhurulol

Post by uhurulol » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:43 am

Heh, yeah I can. Just wish I could have spent that 60 dollars applying to somewhere that actually made it a goal to fund their accepted students. Oh well, I suppose we'll see. Maybe I'll luck out and get funding.

drunkphysics

Post by drunkphysics » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:16 pm

there's always next year to retake PGRE and reapply for a better selection of schools. What's better, having partial funding for the next 5 years, or waiting a year and getting a free ride to a (likely) better school.

just saying.