Physics Education Research programs. Where to apply?

futuredoctor

Physics Education Research programs. Where to apply?

Post by futuredoctor » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:59 pm

So a friend of mine pointed me towards this as something I should look into applying for as I enjoy teaching at a collegiate level and want to become a full time professor. First off, my profile:

Undergrad Institution: RPI
Major(s): Physics
Minor(s): none
GPA in Major: ~3.27
Overall GPA: 3.27
Length of Degree: 4 years
Type of Student: Domestic male

Masters Institution: RPI
Major(s): Physics
GPA: 3.06
Length of Degree: 1 Year

GRE Scores :
Q: 163 (86%)
V: 157 (74%)
W: 4.5 (80%)
P: 630 (36%) :(

Research Experience: Undergrad: ~1.5 years in solid state physics. 1 year in astrophysics analyzing Hubble images. Grad: 1 year analyzing Spitzer spectrum. I am working on an 1st author APJ letter based on my masters thesis/project that will hopefully be done by the time I am applying.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Was a paid researcher at RPI for two summers. I am currently an adjunct instructor at a university (don't want to give up too much info) rewriting the curriculum for and teaching Physics I labs. I also tutor privately.

I have already applied to grad schools for the past two cycles now and have been wait listed and ultimately rejected every time. Basically, I would like to know whether applying for programs in Physics Education might give me a better chance at getting in somewhere, and if so, where can I realistically get into.

A bit of research on my own has led me to find this site: http://www.compadre.org/per/programs. This lists schools who do research in Physics Education. Looking at the list, there are a lot of great schools (U of Washington, OSU, CU Bolder, U of A, ASU, Northwestern, etc.), but I don't know if I could realistically get into any of them. Anyone on here have any experience in apply to Physics Education research programs or know how much rank/PGRE/GPA vs teaching experience affects an application? Or just in general if I stand a chance?

nik

Re: Physics Education Research programs. Where to apply?

Post by nik » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:10 am

futuredoctor wrote:Physics Education might give me a better chance at getting in somewhere, and if so, where can I realistically get into.
U Pittsburgh

DivineHorseCloud

Post by DivineHorseCloud » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:09 pm

I heard good things about Maryland, Washington Seattle, and CU Boulder.

RonaldoMcDonaldo

Post by RonaldoMcDonaldo » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:37 pm

DivineHorseCloud wrote:I heard good things about Maryland, Washington Seattle, and CU Boulder.
Presumably you're being sarcastic.

Those are all top programs and the GPA, PGRE, etc in the profile wouldn't get someone into a top program.

DivineHorseCloud

Post by DivineHorseCloud » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:25 pm

RonaldoMcDonaldo wrote:
DivineHorseCloud wrote:I heard good things about Maryland, Washington Seattle, and CU Boulder.
Presumably you're being sarcastic.

Those are all top programs and the GPA, PGRE, etc in the profile wouldn't get someone into a top program.
I was sincere but I didn't attention to the profile :oops: