strategy for low GPA, good GRE & learning disability

mcmaster

strategy for low GPA, good GRE & learning disability

Post by mcmaster » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:34 pm

Does anyone have any insight they can offer to help in strategizing the application process for a young man with Asperger's (a form of Autism considered a learning disability) who scored 86/90/96 on the GRE (first take, no preparation, might retake) but has a low GPA of 3.0 at a top competitive state school? Not yet taken Physics GRE, but scored National Merit Commended on SAT - always tests well.

I'm volunteering to assist him in applying for graduate school a year from now; currently in 4th year of a 5 year degree in Physics with minor in Computer Science. Was a summer research fellow cited as a contributor on one paper in the American Physics Society and is planning to do more research during 5th year.

Is passionate about research; will bring to the field a person who see's, thinks and solves problems differently than the rest of us. (At least one Nobel Prize winner has Asperger's) However, is so asocial and eccentric I'm not sure how these kinds of exceptional minds are able to succeed in today's "system" without some help.

Does anyone have any experience of this type of atypical application? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

taores

Re: strategy for low GPA, good GRE & learning disability

Post by taores » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:04 pm

I'm curious if you are still helping this person & how it is going? I see you didn't get any responses to your question. I would think references would be critical. But idk.

mcmaster

Re: strategy for low GPA, good GRE & learning disability

Post by mcmaster » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:30 pm

Yes, still in the process. Was able to get extra time on the physics subject matter GRE exam, i.e. as a student with disabilities so will look to see how this student scores in May when test scores come out. It seems like the world needs intelligent researchers who are exceptional thinkers so fingers crossed. Looks like this student will have a 3.0 GPA by graduation. Is engaged in a second research project, was published (as a junior contributor) in high school in APA and is now holding officer position in APA on campus, so we will be looking at schools to apply to next year.

If anyone knows schools who value students with disabilities let us know, thank you.