Didn't do well on the PGRE... wait to apply?

DanTheClimbingMan

Didn't do well on the PGRE... wait to apply?

Postby DanTheClimbingMan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:02 am

Hello everyone,

I just got the scores back from the October PGRE, and I really messed up. I have a decent portfolio and I was hoping to apply to some top ten schools, but when I got my PGRE scores back, I had scored 700 on the dot. It's mostly my fault--I bit off way more than I can chew this semester and it ended up screwing me over where it most counted.

I'm trying to figure out what to do. What I REALLY want to do is retake the PGRE in April and apply after that, but I don't know if I would then have to wait a full year or not before applying. Do schools have off-semester applications, or will I be waiting for applications next December?

Should I apply now anyways, or should I not waste my time? Will waiting hurt me? I have a decent engineering/science full time job that I can accept for now and work at for a while.

Thanks for the input.... :(

TomServo

Re: Didn't do well on the PGRE... wait to apply?

Postby TomServo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:56 pm

DanTheClimbingMan wrote:Hello everyone,

I just got the scores back from the October PGRE, and I really messed up. I have a decent portfolio and I was hoping to apply to some top ten schools, but when I got my PGRE scores back, I had scored 700 on the dot. It's mostly my fault--I bit off way more than I can chew this semester and it ended up screwing me over where it most counted.

I'm trying to figure out what to do. What I REALLY want to do is retake the PGRE in April and apply after that, but I don't know if I would then have to wait a full year or not before applying. Do schools have off-semester applications, or will I be waiting for applications next December?

Should I apply now anyways, or should I not waste my time? Will waiting hurt me? I have a decent engineering/science full time job that I can accept for now and work at for a while.

Thanks for the input.... :(

I'm in a super-similar situation, except instead of aiming for top ten schools I was aiming for theory. Got a 700. Could have done far better with more than a few days study time, took on too much, health probs, etc.

Usually Spring applicants don't get funded. Funding is allocated in Jan/Feb for all the Fall apps.

Look at it this way: getting into the right program for you matters more than school prestige. And you'd be waiting a whole other year. A year not taking grad classes or getting any closer to grad school, just to improve one thing. LORs and SOPs and research experience matter more than PGRE.

Return to “School Selection”