My profile and school selection.

arunaryan

My profile and school selection.

Postby arunaryan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi Friends,

I am new to this forum and hope to find some help regarding school selection and profile evaluation.

My details:

undergrad GPA: 77/100 (top 5 % of class)
MS GPA: 3.63/4.0 (Highly reputed TX state school, ~40 ranked) Exp High energy physics (collaboration, highly reputed for dark matter research). One publication accepted in PRL, one in PR-D both not 1st author.

GRE General:

VA: 156 (70%), QA: 166 (94%), W: 3.0 (14%) really scared about this.

PGRE: 860 (80%)

Good strong recommendation letters from my adviser and two other Nuclear/Particle physics professor I worked with.

I am planning to apply for the following schools:

1) University of Washington, Seattle --> HExp, Neutrino physics

2) University of Colorado, Boulder --> AMO Exp, CM Exp.

3) Brown University --> HExp

4) Duke University --> HExp, Nuclear Expt

5) University of Minnesota, twin cities --> HExp

6) Ohio State University --> HExp

7) Texas A&M Univesity, college stn --> Nuclear Exp/Theory

Which of these schools are safe or at the least I have a fair chance? Also please suggest any good schools for my profile for high energy, particle, cosmology expts?

Thanks,

Arun

arunaryan

Re: My profile and school selection.

Postby arunaryan » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Someone please help!!

stengah

Postby stengah » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:42 pm

Your best bet would be to look at the past profile threads and decide for yourself. That's all anyone else here could do.

janisper116

Postby janisper116 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:02 pm

If you're looking for nuclear exp I would probably throw Michigan State in there. Ranked at or near top in nuclear and not too hard to get into.

arunaryan

Postby arunaryan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:20 pm

@Stengah: Thanks for the tip. i did go through the other profiles posted but almost 80% of those are ppl with near perfect scores, GPA etc. Can't get much from those. Was really hoping if someone knew a bit better.

@Janisper116: Thanks mate. I did look at MSU. They do have a good nuclear program but its heavy towards low energy nuclear physics whereas i would be interest in high energy/QGP and related research.

janisper116

Postby janisper116 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:31 am

Well if you haven't already take a look at my admissions profile. OSU and A&M were among the schools I applied and was admitted to. I was also looking at high energy exp and nuclear physics among other things. My profile was less than stellar. With your stats I bet you'll be admitted to most of those schools. However, you are a MS student and I can't speak to how that might affect your chances.

arunaryan

Postby arunaryan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:56 am

@janisper116: Thanks for the reply. Certainly a confidence booster. My MS is from Texas A&M and with the CDMS collaboration. I have got some great responses from professors I wrote to at Washington, Duke, Minnesota and Colorado. No response from Brown and OSU. I think A&M, OSU are my safety schools and others are in the ballpark. Already submitted all material just waiting for reco's (you know how profs are!).

Return to “School Selection”