Penn State VS U of Pittsbutgh

dashapdv

Penn State VS U of Pittsbutgh

Post by dashapdv » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:01 am

I have received offers - one from Penn State and one from University of Pittsburgh, and I am having a hard time choosing one of them. In my application I made an accent on HEP (mostly neutrino) Experiment. In U of Pittsburgh I am mainly interested in T2K and Minerva and in Penn State mostly in astrophysics - IceCube and Amanda. The financial aid is very similar and geographically they are very close to each other. As far as research goes, I think I am leaning towards Penn State, but I am still not sure. There is no chance of me visiting the schools so I hope someone who did or at least heard something about any of them can offer their opinion here. Thank you in advance.

bfollinprm

Re: Penn State VS U of Pittsbutgh

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:02 am

As far as location, pittsburgh is better, being in a city (while State College is the middle of nowhere). There is also a significant indian population in Pittsburgh (I assume by your username you're from india).

Sounds like you already know, though....you have to be excited about the research you're doing.

blighter

Post by blighter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:13 am

bfollinprm wrote:As far as location, pittsburgh is better, being in a city (while State College is the middle of nowhere). There is also a significant indian population in Pittsburgh (I assume by your username you're from india).

Sounds like you already know, though....you have to be excited about the research you're doing.
She's from Russia apparently. But being an Indian, I'm curious as to what in her username looks Indianish.

dashapdv

Post by dashapdv » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:17 pm

Thanks for replying.

I am, indeed, russian:)

I am not really bothered by rural setting of PennState. I have been living in Moscow for a long time and would like a change. Althrough Pitsburgh will no doubt be very different.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:40 pm

Honestly not much, but it (a) did not look chinese or english, and (b) aside from china a lot of international applicants (at least on this forum) come from india. So, I was lazy and played a stereotype.

ayushya

Post by ayushya » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:52 pm

dashapdv wrote:I have received offers - one from Penn State and one from University of Pittsburgh, and I am having a hard time choosing one of them. In my application I made an accent on HEP (mostly neutrino) Experiment. In U of Pittsburgh I am mainly interested in T2K and Minerva and in Penn State mostly in astrophysics - IceCube and Amanda. The financial aid is very similar and geographically they are very close to each other. As far as research goes, I think I am leaning towards Penn State, but I am still not sure. There is no chance of me visiting the schools so I hope someone who did or at least heard something about any of them can offer their opinion here. Thank you in advance.
Hi, congratulations! I'm a first year student at the University of Pittsburgh. As far as research is concerned, there is a large group here doing HEP experiment with dedicated effort towards neutrinos. Plus, I heard from the professors here that they do have funding for the MINERVA experiment. You can try contacting the professors who are into that research and then decide.

And pittsburgh is really cheap compared to other places. There are many places to visit around if you ever think you are too much into studies and think that you need a break.
PM me if you have more questions.

dashapdv

Post by dashapdv » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:58 am

Thank you for reply. I may soon.