Insider's tips concerning the admission process

gpblue

Insider's tips concerning the admission process

Post by gpblue » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:51 am

Hi everbydoy

I came across this,
http://www.squidoo.com/grad-admissions
and seems pretty useful, but does anybody know of anything similar?

quizivex

Re: Insider's tips concerning the admission process

Post by quizivex » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:35 pm

Thanks for posting gpblue. I'm not a big fan of the page though. The writer is not an insider, but a student who seems to have been accepted to one program and credits the acceptance to sending one fewer recommendation to that school, even though he has no proof of that.

The advice is very generic. There are plenty of good suggestions, but most of those are common sense. There are some suggestions that sound logical but could also be argued against, e.g.
Remind the admission committee that you still exist: give them a call. Why is it necessary? Because it shows interest.
And there are some other things that definitely seem wrong, for instance.
If you are an international student chances are they won't look at it (the GRE).
Even if that quote came from an admission director (which it didn't), I'd still doubt that it is representative of most graduate programs.

Here's another "how to get in" post. I think this is better because the writer is more of an "insider" and it's more specific to physics.
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmi ... te-school/

johnhero2010

Post by johnhero2010 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:39 am

is there any source of advice for International students cuz it seems kinda mysterious(i.e: the admission process) to many int. students?

gpblue

Post by gpblue » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:45 am

Thanks, quizivex.
I'll take a look at your link.

Still, it would be nice if we could find more articles like that...ideally from professors

Cheers