Cosmology/gravitational physics schools

fizzax

Cosmology/gravitational physics schools

Post by fizzax » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:19 pm

I was wondering if anybody knew what schools are good for gravitational physics research. My top choice of study in grad school would be theoretical gravitational research then any type of cosmolog6 research if I can't do my top choice. So far the schools I have looked into are Penn state, NYU, and Uchicago. My gpa is 3.7 and I took the pgre last year and got a 650 and should break 700 this October. For research I have been working on the kinematics of the milky way disk last spring, over the summer, and will be continuing through the year with it and will probably result in a paper. So any help with good schools in this field would be great.

bfollinprm

Re: Cosmology/gravitational physics schools

Post by bfollinprm » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:47 am

From your research, not sure if you exactly mean gravitational physics. Gravitational physicists test the validity of GR, and make new models of gravitation to explain odd results (like the apparent violation of the virial theorem at galactic scales, or the hubble flow). For that kind of research, check out U of Maryland, though you're going to have to really push up that PGRE score.

kangaroo

Post by kangaroo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:50 am

Gurl, you ain't getting in anywhere decent for theoretical cosmology until you get at least a 850. Better starting werking that ass to get that score!

fizzax

Post by fizzax » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:37 pm

Yes, that is what I mean by gravitational physics. For the pgre score I took that my sophomore year to see what the test was like so hopefully I can do much better, but I was looking more for a list of schools that are good in this field.