University of Wisconsin-Madison or Columbia for Plasma?

jk844

University of Wisconsin-Madison or Columbia for Plasma?

Post by jk844 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:44 pm

I was initially going to accept the offer from Dept of Physics at Wisconsin-Madison since they have a strong department for experimental plasma physics. They offer a ~$14000 50% TAship for the first year. But I was just contacted by Columbia Department of Applied Physics and was offered ~$33000. Could anyone working at the plasma department at Columbia give me an idea of what it is like to work there?

Much thanks

bfollinprm

Re: University of Wisconsin-Madison or Columbia for Plasma?

Post by bfollinprm » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:43 am

14000 for 9 months, or a year?

Bozostein

Post by Bozostein » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:11 am

hmmm.... 14k or 33k ..... 14k or 33k... ( pacing back and forth with my hand to my head)....

I think I'll go for the 33k !

* note that 33k in nyc is basically akin to living in poverty though

asdfuogh

Post by asdfuogh » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:54 am

Probably depends on what you're thinking of doing after grad school. Columbia has a better name.. overall, right? So if it's not related to physics or plasma physics, you're probably better off going to Columbia (plus, more money on paper). Also, if you're going into fusion, you should think about what the funding situation will be like during your time there because most of the US funding for fusion is going to ITER (hence, death of the Alcator).

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:33 pm

If making money is important, then I bet you can get by on the $33,000 just fine. And with a little care (look for room mates in a cheap apartment, avoid eating out), you can probably save money while going to school.

vesperlynd

Post by vesperlynd » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:58 pm

asdfuogh wrote:Probably depends on what you're thinking of doing after grad school. Columbia has a better name.. overall, right? So if it's not related to physics or plasma physics, you're probably better off going to Columbia (plus, more money on paper). Also, if you're going into fusion, you should think about what the funding situation will be like during your time there because most of the US funding for fusion is going to ITER (hence, death of the Alcator).
Just want to point out that Alcator C-Mod is not dead. There is still plenty of time to have Congress continue funding our operations and to restore funding to other existing experiments, and we have been working extremely hard to make that happen.