It's time to make OUR decisions after hearing from schools?

Avocado_number
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:02 pm

It's time to make OUR decisions after hearing from schools?

Postby Avocado_number » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:57 am

Hi all. I need help! :(

I am trying to decide one of the three: UChicago (in astro), MIT(physics), and Columbia (astro). Where would you go for cosmology, and why?

I know that chicago is at its best right now in cosmology. but MIT's fame is making me blind in some sense.

And how would you decide where you will go?

Any comments and responses would be greatly appreciated!

User avatar
Andromeda
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:17 pm

Re: It's time to make OUR decisions after hearing from schools?

Postby Andromeda » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:39 am

Go where you think you'll be happiest, and where the students and potential advisers seem like people you'd get along with. A school's reputation is worthless if you don't enjoy your experience there.

Another way I've considered this is ok, you're lucky enough to be in a position where you have good options and will regret not taking one for various reasons. So you will in some ways regret Chicago vs MIT vs Columbia for whatever you don't pick, but be honest with yourself in which option you'd regret most not taking. Sometimes at the end of the day that's what it really comes down to.

bfollinprm
Posts: 1197
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: It's time to make OUR decisions after hearing from schools?

Postby bfollinprm » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Chicago. Wayne Hu, Scott Dodelson, and John Carlstrom make a great trio that span experiment and theory.

Avocado_number
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:02 pm

Re: It's time to make OUR decisions after hearing from schools?

Postby Avocado_number » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:42 am

Appreciate the responses from you two! There is a new challenge to make the decision,
just accepted to Berkeley yesterday! AHh.. it's a stress, a good stress I guess!

ale87
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: It's time to make OUR decisions after hearing from schools?

Postby ale87 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:13 am

Avocado_number wrote:Appreciate the responses from you two! There is a new challenge to make the decision,
just accepted to Berkeley yesterday! AHh.. it's a stress, a good stress I guess!


:lol: Congrats! let me know by PM or as you want your experience with chicago astro open house!

scr
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: It's time to make OUR decisions after hearing from schools?

Postby scr » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:00 pm

I got acceptance from UC Riverside and U British Columbia both for HEP experimental.

Please advise which school would give me better jobs opportunities after graduation?

Any input is welcomed

bfollinprm
Posts: 1197
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: It's time to make OUR decisions after hearing from schools?

Postby bfollinprm » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:23 pm

British Columbia is my guess. Did you get in as a masters student, or a PhD student?

TakeruK
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: It's time to make OUR decisions after hearing from schools?

Postby TakeruK » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:37 am

UBC Physics does not generally accept students to PhD programs unless they already hold a Canadian MSc or equivalent (something requiring both coursework and a thesis usually). Some other info that may help others thinking about UBC (and maybe other Canadian schools):

1. It may be possible for you to get promoted from MSc program to a PhD program after year 1, if you show excellent grades, that you are capable for PhD research, and if you have your supervisor's support.

2. All Physics & Astronomy students must take PHYS 500, the quantum field theory course.

3. Canadian schools stipends do NOT generally include a tuition waiver, except for an extra award to cover the difference between domestic and international tuition. Domestic tuition is $4500 per 12 month period.

4. When you finish your MSc at UBC (if they did accept you for that instead of PhD), you will have to reapply to PhD programs again. However since you are basically accepted if the prof is willing to fund you, this is most likely a formality (unless there are funding issues). Canadian schools do not usually assume their students will automatically do a PhD in the same place, make sure your prof will have funding for you if you want to do PhD there too.

5. Teaching assistants are mostly unionized in Canada. Here is the UBC TA Union website: http://cupe2278.ca/blog/ I am mentioning this because the collective bargaining agreement is expiring and there are some job action issues coming up potentially. The website will give you up to date info! Having been at UBC and other Canadian schools, I can say that TAs at UBC make about 1/3 of the wage (~$27/hr instead of ~$37/hr) and work 1/3 more hours (1 unit is 12 hrs/week instead of 9hrs/week) than TAs at comparable Canadian schools (e.g. Toronto). This means you will still get the same of money in the end as your peers in other schools, but you have to work much more!

scr
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: It's time to make OUR decisions after hearing from schools?

Postby scr » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:52 pm

bfollinprm wrote:British Columbia is my guess. Did you get in as a masters student, or a PhD student?

I got in as a PhD student for both. UBC is better ranked than UCR... still I have my doubts. :?:

bfollinprm
Posts: 1197
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: It's time to make OUR decisions after hearing from schools?

Postby bfollinprm » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:53 pm

UBC means you wont have to pass a prelim exam, won't have to take first year courses, already have a research advisor in mind, and will get out faster. Not to mention UBC has a better reputation.

scr
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: It's time to make OUR decisions after hearing from schools?

Postby scr » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:59 pm

bfollinprm wrote:UBC means you wont have to pass a prelim exam, won't have to take first year courses, already have a research advisor in mind, and will get out faster. Not to mention UBC has a better reputation.


Makes sense. Thanks.

Bozostein
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:06 am

Re: It's time to make OUR decisions after hearing from schools?

Postby Bozostein » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:57 am

Yo OP!, I'm kind of thinking your dilemma is kind of like having to choose between a ferrarri, a rolls-royce, and a mazzerati, I don't really see you being dissatisfied w/ any of those LOL

personally i'm thankful as heck to have gotten into just 1 school .

scr
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: It's time to make OUR decisions after hearing from schools?

Postby scr » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:36 am

Bozostein wrote:Yo OP!, I'm kind of thinking your dilemma is kind of like having to choose between a ferrarri, a rolls-royce, and a mazzerati, I don't really see you being dissatisfied w/ any of those LOL

personally i'm thankful as heck to have gotten into just 1 school .


In a way I'm jealous of your situation.

scr
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: It's time to make OUR decisions after hearing from schools?

Postby scr » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:46 am

TakeruK wrote:UBC Physics does not generally accept students to PhD programs unless they already hold a Canadian MSc or equivalent (something requiring both coursework and a thesis usually). Some other info that may help others thinking about UBC (and maybe other Canadian schools):

1. It may be possible for you to get promoted from MSc program to a PhD program after year 1, if you show excellent grades, that you are capable for PhD research, and if you have your supervisor's support.

2. All Physics & Astronomy students must take PHYS 500, the quantum field theory course.

3. Canadian schools stipends do NOT generally include a tuition waiver, except for an extra award to cover the difference between domestic and international tuition. Domestic tuition is $4500 per 12 month period.

4. When you finish your MSc at UBC (if they did accept you for that instead of PhD), you will have to reapply to PhD programs again. However since you are basically accepted if the prof is willing to fund you, this is most likely a formality (unless there are funding issues). Canadian schools do not usually assume their students will automatically do a PhD in the same place, make sure your prof will have funding for you if you want to do PhD there too.

5. Teaching assistants are mostly unionized in Canada. Here is the UBC TA Union website: http://cupe2278.ca/blog/ I am mentioning this because the collective bargaining agreement is expiring and there are some job action issues coming up potentially. The website will give you up to date info! Having been at UBC and other Canadian schools, I can say that TAs at UBC make about 1/3 of the wage (~$27/hr instead of ~$37/hr) and work 1/3 more hours (1 unit is 12 hrs/week instead of 9hrs/week) than TAs at comparable Canadian schools (e.g. Toronto). This means you will still get the same of money in the end as your peers in other schools, but you have to work much more!



Thanks for the info men. I guess UBC is the best option.




Return to “School Selection”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest