First hand resources about graduate programs

bfollinprm

First hand resources about graduate programs

Post by bfollinprm » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:54 pm

So I was thinking that we have quite a few active users who are already graduate students, and while some of this information is already out there, putting where we went along with some other information about our interests could serve to (1) make finding the information easier, and (2) encourage people to ask questions via PM, etc. This could prove incredible useful to, for instance, international students, who normally don't have a chance to go to the university's open house.

So, if you're interested in sharing your knowledge of your graduate school of choice, post your information here!

bfollinprm

Re: First hand resources about graduate programs

Post by bfollinprm » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:56 pm

Institution: University of California, Davis
Years: 2010-??
Interests: cosmology theory; cosmology experiment; particle theory

Feel free to PM.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:44 am

So we kind of already have this, in the "building graduate school profiles" section.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:04 pm

yeah... my intention was to try this, since it appears no one uses that section. The advantage I saw with putting this explicit info in one place was mostly for people for whom it wouldn't occur to try to contact us about schools, and/or gave up on the "building grad school profiles section" since it's pretty much empty. I was going to give it a couple more days and then delete my post.

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:33 am

I would be happy to include my info here if I get into a program :P I also knew how the graduate program worked at my undergrad location (UBC) pretty well and I guess also give a general sense of what Canadian programs are like. So I will probably edit this post later if the thread is still up :) Good idea though!

PS -- The building graduate profiles section seem to only include Physics programs, not Astro ones, or planetary science etc. (unless I'm looking in the wrong place) Obviously the info about the city/school itself would be the same but the faculty, program requirements etc. could be very different!

grae313

Post by grae313 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:47 pm

If this is meant to be an extensive resource, I think it's too much for a thread. Rather, it might be more beneficial to direct people with questions about a program in specific to ask them in the school profiles section, or even move posts that ask about one school in particular. Then at least they'd serve as a sort of archive of school-specific info for future applicants, and with a bit of encouragement they might become more frequently used.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:23 am

Fair enough. So, if people want to make themselves available on a more personal basis about their graduate school, please share that information in the graduate school profiles section at here.