What school ranking do you use? THE or US NEWS ??

ali8
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:20 am

What school ranking do you use? THE or US NEWS ??

Postby ali8 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:48 pm

Hello,

When I search for a school, say GaTech Science, in Times Higher Education, I found it to be #50.
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2010-2011/physical-sciences.html#score_OS|sort_region|reverse_false

When I look at US News Physics rankings, I found GaTech to be # 30.
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/physics-rankings/page+2

This question isn't about GaTech specifically, rather I just want to know which ranking do you refer
to when talking about top 20, top 50, top 100 etc..

-Ali

TheBeast
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:06 am

Re: What school ranking do you use? THE or US NEWS ??

Postby TheBeast » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:14 pm

I want to avoid discussing the validity of rankings, but you do know that the THE link that you provided ranks GATech 50th in the world as opposed to the US News list which ranks it 30th in the US. There's also the fact that the THE ranking is for the more general physical sciences as opposed to the US News link that you provided which is just for physics.

bfollinprm
Posts: 1197
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: What school ranking do you use? THE or US NEWS ??

Postby bfollinprm » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:14 pm

We are technically referring to the US News ranking, but not because they're especially good; they just provide a general mark of stature. We really mean a general idea of quality (top 10-very best, top 20-very good, top 50-respectable, top 100-competent). Schools falling inside or outside a range on USN rankings might be considered to actually be in a different category (for instance, Columbia and NYU are probably underrated by USNews for how hard they are to get in to). After the first 10 or so on the list, we might be referring to the top schools in a given subdiscipline (like central michigan for nuclear physics).

User avatar
midwestphysics
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:37 am

Re: What school ranking do you use? THE or US NEWS ??

Postby midwestphysics » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:18 pm

bfollinprm wrote:After the first 10 or so on the list, we might be referring to the top schools in a given subdiscipline (like central michigan for nuclear physics).


I think you mean MSU not Central :lol: . In any case Ali8, if you hadn't noticed on the USNEWS site you can see the top 10 ranking by specialty which is sometimes considerably different. If you know what you want to do that might be a place to gauge where to start looking.

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: What school ranking do you use? THE or US NEWS ??

Postby WhoaNonstop » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:10 pm

ali8 wrote:This question isn't about GaTech specifically, rather I just want to know which ranking do you refer
to when talking about top 20, top 50, top 100 etc..

-Ali


Top 10 - Schools that have something I am specifically interested in, people who support my own personal future, and that are in an area I would be comfortable and enjoy living in.
Top 20 - Schools that have people who support my personal future and are in an area I would be comfortable and enjoy living in.
Top 50 - Schools that are in an area I would be comfortable and enjoy living in.
Top 100 - All other ranking systems.

This is the ranking I use.

-Riley

bfollinprm
Posts: 1197
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: What school ranking do you use? THE or US NEWS ??

Postby bfollinprm » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:03 am

midwestphysics wrote:
bfollinprm wrote:After the first 10 or so on the list, we might be referring to the top schools in a given subdiscipline (like central michigan for nuclear physics).


I think you mean MSU not Central :lol:


Very true, my bad (not my discipline, which doesn't have any good examples of this).

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: What school ranking do you use? THE or US NEWS ??

Postby HappyQuark » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:15 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
ali8 wrote:This question isn't about GaTech specifically, rather I just want to know which ranking do you refer
to when talking about top 20, top 50, top 100 etc..

-Ali


Top 10 - Schools that have something I am specifically interested in, people who support my own personal future, and that are in an area I would be comfortable and enjoy living in and lots of fly honeys nearby with an excuse to see them in bathing suits (i.e. nearby water park or beach).
Top 20 - Schools that have people who support my personal future and are in an area I would be comfortable and enjoy living in.
Top 50 - Schools that are in an area I would be comfortable and enjoy living in.
Top 100 - All other ranking systems.

This is the ranking I use.

-Riley


Fixed.

User avatar
Dorian_Mode
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:17 am

Re: What school ranking do you use? THE or US NEWS ??

Postby Dorian_Mode » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:32 am

I use NRC because it makes my school look much better.

ali8
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:20 am

Re: What school ranking do you use? THE or US NEWS ??

Postby ali8 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:18 am

Thank you all!

That was really great help, thanks again :)




Return to “School Selection”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 2 guests