UCSB vs. Cornell Condensed Matter

Mr. Nick

UCSB vs. Cornell Condensed Matter

Post by Mr. Nick » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:59 am

Hi all,

I am hoping you guys can shed some radiation on a difficult decision. I have offers from both Cornell and UCSB and I plan to study condensed matter experiment. Which school would you consider the top choice and why? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

sphy

Re: UCSB vs. Cornell Condensed Matter

Post by sphy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:35 am

Mr. Nick wrote:Hi all,

I am hoping you guys can shed some radiation on a difficult decision. I have offers from both Cornell and UCSB and I plan to study condensed matter experiment. Which school would you consider the top choice and why? Any insight is greatly appreciated.
How about the below post: ( courtesy : grae313)
grae313 wrote:I'll chime in as to why I chose Cornell over both Stanford and Berkeley. I'm interested in condensed matter experiment (playing with nanostructures in particular), and Cornell just destroys Stanford physics and Stanford applied physics in terms of interesting and high-profile CME/nanostructures research, and Cornell's facilities blow Stanford's out of the water. The CME rankings are absolute nonsense with regards to Stanford!! Berkeley is the only school that can try and compete with Cornell's facilities in terms of nanofabrication (maybe also UCSB once their new facility gets on its feet), but Berkeley's Molecular Foundry operates very differently than Cornell's CNF. CNF just blew my mind with all of the equipment available, and once you are trained and get a badge, you can go in there and use it any time of day or night, 24/7. At Berkeley, you have to submit an application to use the facilities, have it approved for funding, then schedule a very specific time during business hours. Yes, you don't have to work first-come-first-serve like you do at CNF, but CNF just seemed to have way more freedom and flexibility, and WAY more cool stuff!

I also found the environment at Cornell very friendly and the most active and encouraging towards interdisciplinary research. Everything about the department seems meant to foster collaborations.

Also, some of the most high-powered research groups in CME/nanostructures are located at Cornell. For nanotechnology, I think it is absolutely the best in the country.

Did I mention everyone is super friendly here?!

If you can't tell, I love Cornell and I'm having a great time here!
:oops: :D
Assuming that: You would choose UCB over UCSB.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:11 am

I think UCSB is better for CM theory and Cornell is better for CM experiment, but that's my opinion.

sphy

Post by sphy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:49 pm

Another thing is that: Make an excel sheet and then compare every thing between them like:
1. No of Profs working in cmE
2. No of cited Papers
3. Money
4. Environment
5. Food and Housing and Locality
6. Recreation
7. Qualifier questions
8. E-mail to some old and new students and then match their results

sphy

Post by sphy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:52 pm

Don't You Think That Giving Back To The Society Is Always Cool.
Where is your PROFILE?

Mr. Nick

Post by Mr. Nick » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:19 pm

Yes, I intend to post my profile once I make my school decision.

For those of you already attending either Cornell or UCSB, what do you make of their respective experimental facilities for CME?