High Energy Experiment - UW-Madison, CU-Boulder or UVa

HowIGaussLaw
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:59 pm

High Energy Experiment - UW-Madison, CU-Boulder or UVa

Postby HowIGaussLaw » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:26 pm

Hi all,

I'm planning to get my Ph. D. in particle experiment (hopefully working on the CMS or ATLAS experiments at CERN) and I've been accepted into The University of Virginia, University of Wisconsin - Madison and University of Colorado - Boulder. I've heard great things about all of these schools, but I'm wondering what people think is the best for HE experiment.

Thanks so much!

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: High Energy Experiment - UW-Madison, CU-Boulder or UVa

Postby WhoaNonstop » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:41 pm

HowIGaussLaw wrote:Hi all,

I'm planning to get my Ph. D. in particle experiment (hopefully working on the CMS or ATLAS experiments at CERN) and I've been accepted into The University of Virginia, University of Wisconsin - Madison and University of Colorado - Boulder. I've heard great things about all of these schools, but I'm wondering what people think is the best for HE experiment.

Thanks so much!


The school you would enjoy being at the most.

-Riley

tady
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: High Energy Experiment - UW-Madison, CU-Boulder or UVa

Postby tady » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:45 pm

Weren't you able to attend an open house or two?

User avatar
midwestphysics
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:37 am

Re: High Energy Experiment - UW-Madison, CU-Boulder or UVa

Postby midwestphysics » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:49 pm

Personal comfort is a big factor. Still, at this point with those schools you're not really picking the school anymore as much as you're potential advisor. Which advisor's work are you most interested in, do your personalities seem well matched, are there good connections to be made in the places you want, what's the funding situation, etc? That's something that we can't give advice about. The place doesn't matter as much now that your accepted to relatively equal schools, now it's all about your comfort and the people you'll work with.

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: High Energy Experiment - UW-Madison, CU-Boulder or UVa

Postby WhoaNonstop » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:01 am

midwestphysics wrote:Personal comfort is a big factor. Still, at this point with those schools you're not really picking the school anymore as much as you're potential advisor. Which advisor's work are you most interested in, do your personalities seem well matched, are there good connections to be made in the places you want, what's the funding situation, etc? That's something that we can't give advice about. The place doesn't matter as much now that your accepted to relatively equal schools, now it's all about your comfort and the people you'll work with.


Exactly. Madison and Boulder would be slightly higher ranked than Virginia, but it really isn't worth the difference if there is someone at Virginia you'd love to work with that has the available funding. Truly, if they all have a few groups you'd see yourself content with, then pick the school that you'd feel the most at home.

-Riley

tady
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: High Energy Experiment - UW-Madison, CU-Boulder or UVa

Postby tady » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:07 am

What about "quality-of-life" issues and cost-of-living considerations?

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: High Energy Experiment - UW-Madison, CU-Boulder or UVa

Postby HappyQuark » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:09 am

HowIGaussLaw wrote:Hi all,

I'm planning to get my Ph. D. in particle experiment (hopefully working on the CMS or ATLAS experiments at CERN) and I've been accepted into The University of Virginia, University of Wisconsin - Madison and University of Colorado - Boulder. I've heard great things about all of these schools, but I'm wondering what people think is the best for HE experiment.

Thanks so much!


You should go to the one that does physics good.

User avatar
midwestphysics
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:37 am

Re: High Energy Experiment - UW-Madison, CU-Boulder or UVa

Postby midwestphysics » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:10 am

tady wrote:What about "quality-of-life" issues and cost-of-living considerations?


Quality of life and cost of living considerations play into the personal comfort we were talking about. We're not saying pick Hawaii because it's an awesome place to live, because if you're broke and living in a shanty I'm willing to bet it won't be that great to be there, your personal comfort will be very low.

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: High Energy Experiment - UW-Madison, CU-Boulder or UVa

Postby WhoaNonstop » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:12 am

tady wrote:What about "quality-of-life" issues and cost-of-living considerations?


Cost of living should be fairly similar, but I've done no research into that. If it was me choosing between those programs, I'd either choose Virginia or Boulder. They are both pretty nice schools and nice areas. I'd be partial to Virginia considering I want to get the hell out of the midwest for a few years.

-Riley

tady
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: High Energy Experiment - UW-Madison, CU-Boulder or UVa

Postby tady » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:13 am

midwestphysics wrote:
tady wrote:What about "quality-of-life" issues and cost-of-living considerations?


Quality of life and cost of living considerations play into the personal comfort we were talking about. We're not saying pick Hawaii because it's an awesome place to live, because if you're broke and living in a shanty I'm willing to bet it won't be that great to be there, your personal comfort will be very low.


Yes, I was merely re-iterating the point. Using different language to help elucidate the matter. Being more specific and direct; a better communicator, if you will.

User avatar
midwestphysics
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:37 am

Re: High Energy Experiment - UW-Madison, CU-Boulder or UVa

Postby midwestphysics » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:17 am

WhoaNonstop wrote:
tady wrote:What about "quality-of-life" issues and cost-of-living considerations?


Cost of living should be fairly similar, but I've done no research into that. If it was me choosing between those programs, I'd either choose Virginia or Boulder. They are both pretty nice schools and nice areas. I'd be partial to Virginia considering I want to get the hell out of the midwest for a few years.

-Riley


If you're in the middle states like NE (no offense Riley),the Dakota's, or basically not on the lakes I'd agree, but Chicago wouldn't be too bad, WI is pushing it. If it were me, I'm more of an eastcoaster so I'd go VA if it were strictly about location.

User avatar
midwestphysics
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:37 am

Re: High Energy Experiment - UW-Madison, CU-Boulder or UVa

Postby midwestphysics » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:20 am

tady wrote:
midwestphysics wrote:
tady wrote:What about "quality-of-life" issues and cost-of-living considerations?


Quality of life and cost of living considerations play into the personal comfort we were talking about. We're not saying pick Hawaii because it's an awesome place to live, because if you're broke and living in a shanty I'm willing to bet it won't be that great to be there, your personal comfort will be very low.


Yes, I was merely re-iterating the point. Using different language to help elucidate the matter. Being more specific and direct; a better communicator, if you will.


What is this Jeopardy? Why would you answer it in the form of question if you're simply re-iterating the point?

tady
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: High Energy Experiment - UW-Madison, CU-Boulder or UVa

Postby tady » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:30 am

What is the Socratic Method?

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: High Energy Experiment - UW-Madison, CU-Boulder or UVa

Postby grae313 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:35 am

tady wrote:What is the Socratic Method?


I like this kid.

User avatar
midwestphysics
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:37 am

Re: High Energy Experiment - UW-Madison, CU-Boulder or UVa

Postby midwestphysics » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:37 am

tady wrote:What is the Socratic Method?


The Socratic Method, or specifically Socratic questioning, is used to force someone who asked a question to reevaluate their original question in a way that might answer it in the first place. It is not however used to reiterate a statement.

tady
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: High Energy Experiment - UW-Madison, CU-Boulder or UVa

Postby tady » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:01 am

Why would you say it is not a valid method to elucidate or restate an argument?

User avatar
midwestphysics
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:37 am

Re: High Energy Experiment - UW-Madison, CU-Boulder or UVa

Postby midwestphysics » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:24 am

Elucidate, yes, which is why on that point I did not disagree with you and in fact responded to it to further your points. I only disagree with its use in reiterating a statement. What I mean is that when a question like that is answered, and then someone takes that answer and states it with more depth in the form of a question, it would be used to indicate to that the original answer'er to provide clarity in their statement. I did so, and upon doing it was told that was not the point. That is where it went wrong, in saying that further clarification was not needed when the point of your post was to incite that very thing. If there were no previous posts concerning the topic it would have perfectly fit the original question, as you see I used the technique in my own post, but since it was already answered the direction went from the original question to the answer it followed.

bfollinprm
Posts: 1197
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: High Energy Experiment - UW-Madison, CU-Boulder or UVa

Postby bfollinprm » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:20 am

midwestphysics wrote:
tady wrote:What is the Socratic Method?


The Socratic Method, or specifically Socratic questioning, is used to force someone who asked a question to reevaluate their original question in a way that might answer it in the first place. It is not however used to reiterate a statement.


I'm sure Socrates would have liked this explanation. I prefer to say it's the method of feeding a lie in sufficiently small bites, coated with the sugar of peer pressure (all these goons are being swayed by my argument, so should you!)

EDIT: +1 tady. Baller response.

tady
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: High Energy Experiment - UW-Madison, CU-Boulder or UVa

Postby tady » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:19 am

midwestphysics wrote:Elucidate, yes, which is why on that point I did not disagree with you and in fact responded to it to further your points. I only disagree with its use in reiterating a statement. What I mean is that when a question like that is answered, and then someone takes that answer and states it with more depth in the form of a question, it would be used to indicate to that the original answer'er to provide clarity in their statement. I did so, and upon doing it was told that was not the point. That is where it went wrong, in saying that further clarification was not needed when the point of your post was to incite that very thing. If there were no previous posts concerning the topic it would have perfectly fit the original question, as you see I used the technique in my own post, but since it was already answered the direction went from the original question to the answer it followed.


Uh...what?
Last edited by tady on Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBeast
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:06 am

Re: High Energy Experiment - UW-Madison, CU-Boulder or UVa

Postby TheBeast » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:51 am

HowIGaussLaw wrote:Hi all,

I'm planning to get my Ph. D. in particle experiment (hopefully working on the CMS or ATLAS experiments at CERN)


Have you actually done the adequate research into these departments? I was under the impression that all three of these were CMS institutions.




Return to “School Selection”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest