How good is Florida Atlantic University?

User avatar
satyad18
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:17 am

How good is Florida Atlantic University?

Postby satyad18 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:00 pm

I'm interested in LQG and other approaches in QG. And a quick search showed me that there are two professors doing research in Quantum Gravity at this university. Thing is, I'm hearing about this university for the first time! What are the pros and cons? I'm a international student. Any idea of good places(apart from PennState, LSU, Waterloo and PI) doing research in this field?

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: How good is Florida Atlantic University?

Postby HappyQuark » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:14 pm

satyad18 wrote:I'm interested in LQG and other approaches in QG. And a quick search showed me that there are two professors doing research in Quantum Gravity at this university. Thing is, I'm hearing about this university for the first time! What are the pros and cons? I'm a international student. Any idea of good places(apart from PennState, LSU, Waterloo and PI) doing research in this field?


Bad enough that US News didn't bother to give them a rank: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... ngs/page+7

User avatar
satyad18
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:17 am

Re: How good is Florida Atlantic University?

Postby satyad18 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:45 pm

HappyQuark wrote:
satyad18 wrote:I'm interested in LQG and other approaches in QG. And a quick search showed me that there are two professors doing research in Quantum Gravity at this university. Thing is, I'm hearing about this university for the first time! What are the pros and cons? I'm a international student. Any idea of good places(apart from PennState, LSU, Waterloo and PI) doing research in this field?


Bad enough that US News didn't bother to give them a rank: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... ngs/page+7

:lol:

Well, any idea of other schools doing research in QG?

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: How good is Florida Atlantic University?

Postby grae313 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:22 am

You could browse the authors here or the origins of the references here.

User avatar
satyad18
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:17 am

Re: How good is Florida Atlantic University?

Postby satyad18 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:44 am

grae313 wrote:You could browse the authors here or the origins of the references here.


Well, I have already been through those sites! Apart from knowing the people doing research in this field, I couldn't find more information about the universities. And it so happens most of the time that a particular professor might be the only one doing research in Quantum Gravity at his/her university. These issues are confusing me. It would be good to hear if the major portion of the profs at their universities are doing research in this field. If anybody has info regarding this, please do suggest.

Thanks.

User avatar
satyad18
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:17 am

Re: How good is Florida Atlantic University?

Postby satyad18 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:56 am

Moreover, it was because of the following link that I was asking info about Florida Atlantic University:
http://maps.google.it/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=it&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=106449985216139270436.0004843830d27f3e6c50e&ll=39.368279,14.0625&spn=163.883915,92.109375&z=1

P.S: looking for schools only in US, Canada.

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: How good is Florida Atlantic University?

Postby grae313 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:22 pm

satyad18 wrote:Well, I have already been through those sites! Apart from knowing the people doing research in this field, I couldn't find more information about the universities. And it so happens most of the time that a particular professor might be the only one doing research in Quantum Gravity at his/her university. These issues are confusing me. It would be good to hear if the major portion of the profs at their universities are doing research in this field. If anybody has info regarding this, please do suggest.

Thanks.


You aren't going to find any regular US universities where the majority of the professors are researching quantum gravity. That just doesn't happen. At most you'll probably not find more than three or four at one school.

So I went down the first three pages of the google scholar hits for quantum gravity and found authors from these US schools:

UC Santa Barbara
Syracuse University
Cornell
Princeton
Stanford
Brandeis University
University of Pittsburgh
Penn State
Yale
Harvard
Kansas State University
Washington University
Iowa State University
Purdue University
CalTech
University of Utah
Rutgers University

For you to say you looked at these but couldn't find more info on the schools is a bit ridiculous. Once you find where the authors are coming from, you go to the department webpage, find the author's research webpage and read more about their research. These schools are just from the google scholar link, I'm sure there are more from the wikipedia link. Each of these schools has at least one professor working on quantum gravity and publishing papers, and each of these schools has a much better reputation than Florida Atlantic University, in so much as absolutely noone has heard of Florida Atlantic University because it sucks.

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: How good is Florida Atlantic University?

Postby grae313 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:40 pm

A few more:

Columbia
Wayne State
University of Waterloo

User avatar
satyad18
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:17 am

Re: How good is Florida Atlantic University?

Postby satyad18 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:44 pm

grae313 wrote:You aren't going to find any regular US universities where the majority of the professors are researching quantum gravity. That just doesn't happen. At most you'll probably not find more than three or four at one school.

So I went down the first three pages of the google scholar hits for quantum gravity and found authors from these US schools:

UC Santa Barbara
Syracuse University
Cornell
Princeton
Stanford
Brandeis University
University of Pittsburgh
Penn State
Yale
Harvard
Kansas State University
Washington University
Iowa State University
Purdue University
CalTech
University of Utah
Rutgers University

For you to say you looked at these but couldn't find more info on the schools is a bit ridiculous. Once you find where the authors are coming from, you go to the department webpage, find the author's research webpage and read more about their research. These schools are just from the google scholar link, I'm sure there are more from the wikipedia link. Each of these schools has at least one professor working on quantum gravity and publishing papers, and each of these schools has a much better reputation than Florida Atlantic University, in so much as absolutely noone has heard of Florida Atlantic University because it sucks.

grae313 wrote:A few more:

Columbia
Wayne State
University of Waterloo

Thanks grae! :D

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: How good is Florida Atlantic University?

Postby WhoaNonstop » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:39 pm

grae313 wrote:Iowa State University


I don't know anyone who does Quantum Gravity here, but I don't listen very well. (:

-Riley




Return to “School Selection”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 2 guests