Boston University HET wants grads

Quantum Triviality

Boston University HET wants grads

Post by Quantum Triviality » Thu May 20, 2010 12:17 am

Note this comes from a conversation with faculty in May 2010. So if you are far from the future, this may no longer be true. If it is before 2015, feel free to contact me in some way (see my profile) and I can give you an update.

Currently Boston University High Energy theory only has two grad students who are in their third and fourth years. The BU HET faculty in the past has kept the number of students down on purpose, but they have had a change of heart (due to LHC turn on), so over the next several years they are looking for more students.

The entering class of 2009 has 4 or 5 students interested, and I don't know the final count, but the entering class of 2010 probably has 4-7 students interested in HET.

The current goal for the entering classes of 2011 and 2012 should be similar, ie around 5 interested students.

Thought I should post this good news for HET students! I think the next several years should be great years to start in HET.

Quantum Triviality

Re: Boston University HET wants grads

Post by Quantum Triviality » Thu May 20, 2010 9:02 am

To put it in perspective, the entire incoming class of 2010 is only 20 people.

So I think 25% of the incoming class as HET is gigantic. Anyone know of schools with similar ratios?

langrange

Post by langrange » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:05 pm

I've had several people contact me personally about whether or not they will make it into BU HET. I'm just a grad student, my opinion doesn't count, sorry!

If you have applied to BU, then my recommendation: email Professor Martin Schmaltz. He is the professor most interested in students and he will tell you whether the group is still looking for students.

Good luck!

sphy

Post by sphy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:51 pm

Thanks to both of you providing some good informations.