BU vs Rice U

quantumele
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:41 am

BU vs Rice U

Postby quantumele » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:17 am

Hey guys,
It seems that I got a problem in school selection. I got two offers--physics@ Boston U and Rice U.
Rice ranks higher in both physics and overall(17 vs 56 in overall and 29 vs 36 in physics). I probably not intend to continue my research in CMP after PhD. Heard that Boston is a really nice place and has many job opportunities.
Do you have any ideas about Rice and BU? I am all ears~~ 8)

quark314
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:53 pm

Re: BU vs Rice U

Postby quark314 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:26 pm

Boston is definitely a great place to live. Walkable, good public transport especially if you live near a rapid transit (aka "T" ) stop, lots to do (even on a grad student budget). It's an expensive place to live, though, so take that into consideration when you compare financial offers.

quantumele
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:41 am

Re: BU vs Rice U

Postby quantumele » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:10 am

quark314 wrote:Boston is definitely a great place to live. Walkable, good public transport especially if you live near a rapid transit (aka "T" ) stop, lots to do (even on a grad student budget). It's an expensive place to live, though, so take that into consideration when you compare financial offers.

Thx...Guessing money won't be a problem...Does any one come from one of these two schools and tell me the strength of their physics department...cause I think only through viewing their homepages can not get an all-round evaluation...

kittycat
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: BU vs Rice U

Postby kittycat » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:32 pm

I don't really know much about BU's condensed matter group, but when I went to their open house I was very unimpressed with the department. Their physics program is not strong at all. I would definitely NOT trust their website either. I applied in HEP, and the website had a very large list of people in the group along with a description of some semi-decent research. When I visited I found out that half of the people listed were either "technicians" or faculty that hardly did anything.

I would probably go with Rice if I were in your situation.

quantumele
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:41 am

Re: BU vs Rice U

Postby quantumele » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:14 pm

kittycat wrote:I don't really know much about BU's condensed matter group, but when I went to their open house I was very unimpressed with the department. Their physics program is not strong at all. I would definitely NOT trust their website either. I applied in HEP, and the website had a very large list of people in the group along with a description of some semi-decent research. When I visited I found out that half of the people listed were either "technicians" or faculty that hardly did anything.

I would probably go with Rice if I were in your situation.

Thx...just curious: what do you mean about "hardly did anything"? They don't work or they are not productive?

kittycat
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: BU vs Rice U

Postby kittycat » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:55 pm

quantumele wrote:
kittycat wrote:I don't really know much about BU's condensed matter group, but when I went to their open house I was very unimpressed with the department. Their physics program is not strong at all. I would definitely NOT trust their website either. I applied in HEP, and the website had a very large list of people in the group along with a description of some semi-decent research. When I visited I found out that half of the people listed were either "technicians" or faculty that hardly did anything.

I would probably go with Rice if I were in your situation.

Thx...just curious: what do you mean about "hardly did anything"? They don't work or they are not productive?



A little bit of both. The research they did didn't really mean much and they don't produce many papers or grad students.




Return to “School Selection”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest