Do graduate program fliers impact which schools you apply to

InquilineKea

Do graduate program fliers impact which schools you apply to

Post by InquilineKea » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:11 am

As in, how often have you applied for a graduate program after learning of it through a flier that it may have posted in your university? And what is the proportion of grad programs with fliers to the total number of grad programs that you've applied to?

What is the primary way through which you learn about grad programs to apply to?

geshi

Re: Do graduate program fliers impact which schools you apply to

Post by geshi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:43 am

For me:
Flies - no. They might have fliers, but I didn't hear about any schools through fliers.
How I found my schools:
Primary source: http://www.gradschoolshopper.com/ - found them by searching by state and checking out their stats then looking at their website.
Secondary source: word of mouth. Particularly OSU (the school I'm attending next year) I heard about from a friend who is in his first year there. Also heard about schools from faculty members.

kroner

Re: Do graduate program fliers impact which schools you apply to

Post by kroner » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:54 am

The decision of where to apply is about finding the programs that precisely fits your needs. I feel like it's pretty unlikely that a program that is exactly what you're looking for is going to find you with such a broad net as fliers, and even if it did you would still have to do the same level of research to find out that that's the case.