U Nebraska vs U New Mexico, plz help out

Zn004

U Nebraska vs U New Mexico, plz help out

Post by Zn004 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:03 am

Got rejected from all my top choices, but at least I got some options.The problem now is to choose which school.(since the deadline is approaching, I really freaked out)

U Nebraska seems have some good AMO programs, and Lincoln is a good place to live too(quiet and safe). I have sent out few e-mails to potential advisors whose research interests me last week, but got no replies. I kinda afraid that no one is willing to take me in.

For U New Mexico, I got admitted into Optical Science and Engineering(OSE) program instead of Physics. it seems that they have good programs and cooperators, but I really cannot assess how good this program is, can anyone give some advices? Besides, I don't know if Los Alamos and Air Force Laboratory's resources are open to international students like me...

Good part for U New Mexico is one of the advisors replied to my e-mail and it seems he want to take me in.

Any one give me any advices?

chris314

Re: U Nebraska vs U New Mexico, plz help out

Post by chris314 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:24 am

I can't speak to Nebraska but I would recommend the University of New Mexico. I did a campus tour and was really impressed by the research being done there and the focus of the department.

I'm not an international student so I would recommend reaching out to faculty and maybe find some people at a national lab you would be willing to work with. You can check through UNM's faculty and staff directory and look for people with a sandia.gov or lanl.gov email address.

Zn004

Post by Zn004 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:34 am

chris314 wrote:I can't speak to Nebraska but I would recommend the University of New Mexico. I did a campus tour and was really impressed by the research being done there and the focus of the department.

I'm not an international student so I would recommend reaching out to faculty and maybe find some people at a national lab you would be willing to work with. You can check through UNM's faculty and staff directory and look for people with a sandia.gov or lanl.gov email address.
My mentor recoomended the same. It seems for quantum information UNM is pretty strong. Are you attending UNM as well?

chris314

Post by chris314 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:17 pm

Zn004 wrote: My mentor recoomended the same. It seems for quantum information UNM is pretty strong. Are you attending UNM as well?
I won't be attending, the main reason is that QI is not my preferred field but I could recognize they were strong in it.