Those who made it to a top 10 with an average GPA...

james1998

Those who made it to a top 10 with an average GPA...

Postby james1998 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:26 pm

What made your application successful?

I have an ok GPA, (3.69 right now) but I want to go to a top 10 in comp physics. I'm doing all the research I can. I'm a junior right now, will have hopefully 4 papers by the time I'm applying senior year, two of which will be first authors. Posters, talks you name it. But what else can I do? Is there something special I can add to my resume. Something I can work on that will give me another edge compensating for my lack of perfection in my coursework? I was considering taking up a 3rd research mentor, to work on some more computational stuff. What worked for you guys?

Example: I had the idea of taking grad classes to beef it up. (Not that it will help my GPA, but it I think it will look good. I'm planning to take 4 by the time I graduate. Two in physics, two in Comp AMS ( extremely applicable to research ).

Ideas like ^ would be amazing. Thanks guys

dudeguy

Re: Those who made it to a top 10 with an average GPA...

Postby dudeguy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:40 pm

Well I'm no grad student in a top 10 but I can at least say this. Grad courses can help or hurt depending on how you do. If you take a grad course you really want to get an A. Grad profs usually curve their courses heavily and don't give anyone less than about a B/B- typically unless they really struggle, and schools know this. Gettin a B may make it look to grad schools like you are currently not prepared for grad courses, while undergrads who haven't taken any at all still have a clean record. On the flip side doing well in a grad course is a really good way to prove that you can handle graduate coursework. I'm currently taking a grad mechanics class and got the second highest grade on the midterm recently. It really impressed my professor as I'm an undergrad and he offered to write me a recommendation letter. I've also been told by a grad student that a strong letter from a grad prof whose course you did well in is "one of the strongest letters you can get". So keep in mind if you take a grad course it'd be closely looked at for better or for worse.

james1998

Re: Those who made it to a top 10 with an average GPA...

Postby james1998 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:03 pm

Thanks! This is really good advice, I'll keep it in mind.

Return to “School Selection”