Physics Postbaccs ?

dudeguy

Physics Postbaccs ?

Postby dudeguy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:01 pm

Hey guys, I'm finishing up my physics B.S./math B.S. this year but I don't think I'll quite cut it for the top physics PhD programs I'm interested in. I'm trying to think of ways to beef up my application further before PhD programs so that I can get into a top 10 school, which my professor tells me is kind of necessary for a career in quantum gravity. I'm going to be applying to a lot of Master's programs as an attempt to have more time to improve my stats. However most of the relevant Master's programs I find are top schools out of country and my chances may not be much better there either.

So instead I found all these post-baccalauereatte programs for physics/natural sciences in general offered by a lot of Ivys. I like the flexibility of these programs and how they are more individualized in terms of choosing what courses you want to take. Any idea how easy/hard they are to get into, since they are indeed Ivy leagues? Or how obliged those programs are to accommodate someone with a B.S. in the field simply looking to get a leg up on grad school? To be fair though loads of grad courses are kind of the standard for quantum gravity programs from what I've seen so maybe I can kind of argue that to justify why I should be in one of their programs. I have a 3.5-3.6 GPA, minimal research, prob will get avg PGRE scores.

Please let me know any info you have on these programs, if you know anyone who applied and got in/rejected. Or any misc related info that I didn't mention. Feel free to reply or PM me. Thanks!

james1998

Re: Physics Postbaccs ?

Postby james1998 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:36 pm

I can't really answer anything, however I had a friend who did a "Post-Bach" at a National lab. May be worth to look into programs there too, apart from schools. Good luck. :D

dudeguy

Re: Physics Postbaccs ?

Postby dudeguy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:42 pm

Ok thank you, I'll keep that in mind!

Return to “School Selection”