Am I competitive for a top 15 school?

rjones21

Am I competitive for a top 15 school?

Postby rjones21 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:25 am

My stats are as follows:

Undergraduate Institution: Liberal Arts college (20-25% Acceptance Rate)
Overall GPA: 3.88 (4.00 in Physics and 3.91 in Math) Also every successive semester has been greater than or equal to the GPA of the last semester
Majors: Math/Physics
Ethnicity/Gender: White Male
GRE: N/A (will take soon. I am usually getting perfect scores on the quantitative section of the GRE and 880-950 on the PGRE for practice tests)

Research: One summer of Math research to work on some theory behind machine learning using statistical linear algebra; only ending up in a local presentation. Two summer of physics research, one in quantum gravity that continued for the following year and resulted in a publication and some local presentations, the other was an REU for one summer that resulted in a presentation. Will be continuing this as a full year senior thesis in black hole thermodynamics.

Coursework: Despite attending a liberal arts college, I will have taken by the time I graduate two semesters of mechanics, two semesters of electricity and magnetism, two semesters of quantum mechanics, one semester of thermo, one semester of stat mech, one semester of astrophysics/cosmology, one semester of astronomy, general relativity, differential gemometry, complex analysis, topology, as well as some other interesting, but not pertinent math courses such as abstract algebra and real analysis.

I am applying as a theorist (relativity, astrophysics, or cosmology) for most programs, but I might apply for some computational cosmology too.

I don't have much info as to the likelihood that I will be competitive for most schools because of the number of moving parts in a physics application. It is hard for me to objectively compare myself to other students in these forums so ANY FEEDBACK would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a list of schools I might apply to. If you have suggestions for schools that I should consider/give up the dream please let me know!

Reach:

Harvard
Berkeley
Princeton
Stanford
Yale
MIT
Cornell

Reasonable:

Washington
UCLA
UNC