"Good" schools in experimental condensed matter

arnab

"Good" schools in experimental condensed matter

Post by arnab » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:21 pm

Hi everyone.

I wanted to know some "good"(not the absolute best) universities in the US in the branch of experimental condensed matter, especially in the field of TMDC/Graphene and other 2-D materials, optical properties and all. It's just that few of the papers I have come across are by professors in places such like MIT/Caltech etc. or Europe. So it would be great if you could tell me a few places which are not so selective in their graduate admissions and at the same time have decent groups in the aforementioned topics. I don't mind experimental groups that work on phase transitions(e.g frustrated magnetism) and non-fermi liquid behaviour either.

Thanks!

arnab

Re: "Good" schools in experimental condensed matter

Post by arnab » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:06 am

Thanks, but it's a real chore to visit each of these universities and find good groups in the specific areas I have mentioned, since they are ranked in the more general category of condensed matter. If someone has a more personal view on this, please help me out.

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:59 pm

arnab wrote:
Thanks, but it's a real chore to visit each of these universities and find good groups in the specific areas I have mentioned, since they are ranked in the more general category of condensed matter. If someone has a more personal view on this, please help me out.
I hope this isn't too harsh/snarky, but I write this with good intentions. To succeed as a graduate student, you are going to need to do your own research and find information specific for you. Only you can do this for yourself. Whether it's finding the right graduate program, or finding the troubleshooting solution for your code, or determining what went wrong in your experiment's protocol etc. the answers aren't just going to be provided for you. Think of this phase of applying to grad school where you need to basically do a "literature review" of the graduate programs to be similar to the kind of scientific work you will excel at in graduate school.

arnab

Post by arnab » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:02 pm

Thank you. I am well aware of that, I made this post initially to gain more input, I am definitely not entirely relying on this platform to give me the answers I need.

EverydayQuantum

Post by EverydayQuantum » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:34 pm

Here is a list of groups that do primarily 2-dimensional materials / van der Waals materials research outside the top 10 schools. This includes materials such as graphene, transition metal dichalcogenides, etc, that exhibit a wide range of fascination quantum electronic and optical phenomena.

http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=161692