Need help with university selection

jaybhambure

Need help with university selection

Postby jaybhambure » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:10 am

I would be grateful if fellow students and researchers on this forum help me with university selection based on my profile. I am from India and hence things are slightly obscure to me when it comes to US universities and professors and the quality of education since there are a plethora of universities in the US. Kindly spare some time and recommend me about 8 universities to which I could apply. If possible please segregate them into Ambitious, Moderate and Safe categories.

Undergrad Institution: University of Pune (India) B.Sc. And M.Sc.
Major(s):Physics
Minor(s):Math
GPA in Major:93% (we dont have GPA)
Overall GPA:89% (we dont have GPA)
Length of Degree: 3 years of B.Sc. and 2 Years of M.Sc.
Position in Class: B.Sc. Rank #1, M.Sc. top 10 percentile roughly Rank #6
Type of Student: International

GRE Scores : revised
Q:162
V:153 :(
W: 4
P: 900

TOEFL Total: 103

Research Experience: Nothing great - all summer programs. 2 months at astrophysics dept - worked on the formation of binary stars in globular clusters, 2 months of summers studying supersymmetry in Quantum Mechanics, 2 months of Nuclear physics dept - radioactivity and stability of nuclei.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 3 scholarships, a number of awards (i guess about 6 of them) for outstanding performance at bachelors and masters level. Best outgoing student. Here in India, we have something very similar to Dean's list, I was on it every single semester.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 5 years of tutoring experience. I have tutored students in physics and math at High school and undergraduate level.

Special Bonus Points: Recommendation letters are fairly strong

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: NOT sure, though the following has played a pivotal role in building me as a person and probably a to be - physicist, please go through this post, you'll understand the entire scenario - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39898

Research interests : Particle physics (beyond the standard model), theoretical nuclear physics - Quantum Chromodynamics and the nature of strong interaction and stability of heavy nuclei, proton decay etc, cosmology (but I have never had a course on GR during my education)

Return to “School Selection”