Am I aiming too high (quantum info/computation)?

kwiksand

Am I aiming too high (quantum info/computation)?

Post by kwiksand » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:51 am

Hi, first post here. I've just looked through the applicant profiles from previous years and am now rethinking my choice of schools, especially as an international applicant. I'm not sure if I should switch out some of the higher ranked schools for more lower ranked ones. Here's my profile:

Undergrad Institution: Big Canadian School, good physics department.
Major(s): Honours Physics.
Minor(s): None.
GPA in Major: 3.9 in Math+Physics courses.
Overall GPA: 3.85.
Length of Degree: 4.
Position in Class: Near the top, but they don't rank us.
Type of Student: Domestic to Canada, international to America. Asian with Canadian citizenship.

GRE Scores : revised
Q:167
V:157
W:4
P:I'm taking the October exam, but I should be getting 800-990, based on the practice exams.

Research Experience: one summer full time with an experimental particle physics group, one 8month project in accelerator physics, 8 months full time research in superconductivity in CMT group at a Max Planck Institute. No publications, maybe 1 later this year but probably too late to mention on my application.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Some scholarships for good grades, 1 scholarship for being in top 5% in the faculty of science.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: None.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: None.

Special Bonus Points: Atleast 1 letter of recommendation is really great, other 2 I don't know but they should be good.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Unlikely.

Applying to Where: All in experimental quantum information/computation, and maybe in experimental condensed matter:
In order of preference:
MIT
Waterloo
Caltech
Maryland
Stanford
University of New Mexico
University of Toronto

As a side question, does anyone know other schools that have good research groups in QC?