Do universities keep old PGRE scores sent a year ago?

phyz

Do universities keep old PGRE scores sent a year ago?

Post by phyz » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:42 am

So I took the PGRE last year, got an okayish score and sent it to four universities (part of the free score send thing).

I took it again and did better this time. Now, I'd like to use ScoreSelect and send only this new score to the universities. I don't want them to see my old score though but I already sent them out to four places last year. So, do universities typically keep these on file and if so, should I just avoid those four that I originally sent scores to?

TakeruK

Re: Do universities keep old PGRE scores sent a year ago?

Post by TakeruK » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:35 am

If they want, they will be able to see your old scores and your new scores. It depends on the school though, whether or not they keep old score reports.

If your new scores are better, then there's no reason to avoid the four original schools (if you still want to attend them). Let's say you got 650 the first time and 750 the second time. Having the school see 650 and 750 is still better than only seeing 650.

phyz

Post by phyz » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:45 pm

Yes but only seeing a 750 is even better. Hence the question on whether it matters - I'm not dead set on those schools (there are plenty of similar schools) so perhaps I should pick a different one?

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:08 am

phyz wrote:Yes but only seeing a 750 is even better. Hence the question on whether it matters - I'm not dead set on those schools (there are plenty of similar schools) so perhaps I should pick a different one?
True, only "750" is better than "750 and 650". However, whether you apply to these schools should NOT depend on whether they will see 650+750 or just 750. If you are not interested in these schools, then don't apply to them since it will waste your time. If you are interested in these schools, then are you going to let the fact that they *may* see the 650 score stop you from applying? Of course not---there's way more to your application than your PGRE score.

So the real question is: Are you truly interested in these schools? If so, send the new scores and apply. Otherwise, don't.