Percentiles for American students

MattMitchell

Percentiles for American students

Post by MattMitchell » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:05 pm

I'm wondering how the percentage that ETS gives you against all other test-takers translates to a percentage only considering American students.
If a 990 puts you at 95% against everyone, where do you fall out of all Americans? What about 950, 900, 850, etc.

Does anyone know a good resource for this, or have some sort of information that's not purely speculative?

I know that there's a lot of questions about international GRE scores, but in all my browsing I couldn't find any which address this specific topic.

seeyouauntie

Re: Percentiles for American students

Post by seeyouauntie » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:37 pm

I've wondered about this myself. I've never found any information on it. I am curious to see how the percentiles vary by country.

Catria

Post by Catria » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:46 pm

seeyouauntie wrote:I've wondered about this myself. I've never found any information on it. I am curious to see how the percentiles vary by country.
Me too, and especially to see whether it really is warranted on the part of some depts to set different bars by country of origin.

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:10 pm

ETS does not publish this information for subject tests, as far as I know, so almost all discussion on this is speculation.

However, ETS did publish a study that looked at how people from different population groups scored on the Revised General GRE: http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/snapshot_t ... a_2014.pdf