when to order ASRs?

sarthorks

when to order ASRs?

Post by sarthorks » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:46 am

I wrote the General GRE in June'11. I wrote the PGRE this November. So right now I only have my General GRE scores in hand (PGRE scores will come out somewhere in the middle of December).

Now I was wondering whether ordering Additional Score Reports from ETS at this point (that is, before the PGRE scores are out) will result in ETS sending to the designated schools only my General scores or not?

I've tried searching on the net, and asking ETS, but I'm still not sure about this. I'm sure many of you on the forum have had similar experiences.

Will ETS wait for PGRE scores before sending the score reports to the schools or not?

pqortic

Re: when to order ASRs?

Post by pqortic » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:58 pm

whenever you order your scores, only the scores that are shown on your GRE account will be reported.

sarthorks

Post by sarthorks » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:24 am

Oh really? Thanks.

That essentially means I have to wait till 23rd December to send my PGRE scores.

But I wanted to send both my GRE and PGRE scores together (it saves money).

Many of my prospective schools have application deadlines on 15 Dec.
Most schools accept late PGRE scores as they know the November scores can arrive a bit late.
But will they accept late general GRE scores?

bigD3002

Post by bigD3002 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:37 pm

pqortic wrote:whenever you order your scores, only the scores that are shown on your GRE account will be reported.
Does this mean that even though I ordered ETS to send both my gre and pgre scores to a school before one of the scores has been finalized that the ETS will only send the finalized score? Am I reading this incorrectly?

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:40 am

sarthorks wrote: But will they accept late general GRE scores?

they say test scores can arrive after deadline as long as you submit your application and rest of the materials on time. so I think you should be good.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:45 am

bigD3002 wrote:
pqortic wrote:whenever you order your scores, only the scores that are shown on your GRE account will be reported.
Does this mean that even though I ordered ETS to send both my gre and pgre scores to a school before one of the scores has been finalized that the ETS will only send the finalized score? Am I reading this incorrectly?
if there was no score for pgre on your file then there would be no pgre score in the report. they don't wait for the scores to become available.

dedicateddan

Post by dedicateddan » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:51 am

sarthorks wrote:Oh really? Thanks.

That essentially means I have to wait till 23rd December to send my PGRE scores.

But I wanted to send both my GRE and PGRE scores together (it saves money).

Many of my prospective schools have application deadlines on 15 Dec.
Most schools accept late PGRE scores as they know the November scores can arrive a bit late.
But will they accept late general GRE scores?
I'm in a similar situation and I'm going to mention my GRE scores resume/supporting documentation. This way they always at least unofficially know what my scores are. (You can get PGRE scores by phone starting December 13th)

sarthorks

Post by sarthorks » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:20 am

Now that ETS has released the November PGRE scores to the 4 "free" recipients, and scores are accessible through the phone service, is it safe to order Additional Score reports (ASRs)?
Or should I wait till the scores become available online (by around Dec 23)??
I gave the Gen. GRE in June'11. I do not want to end up sending only the GGRE scores to the grad schools, when I want to send both GGRE and PGRE.

wavicle

Post by wavicle » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:07 pm

Here is something very useful to know about the time involved in reporting your scores. First note that, ETS will generally not give you any useful information if you tested late and have a thin margin between reporting the scores and deadlines. Seems to me, we are exactly the students they prey on.

Ok, when they say 5 business days to ship a report, they seem to mean it. On my report it says "print date x-5" where x is the postage date, marked on the envelope. Yes, it actually took them 5 days just to print a report, and drop it in the mail. F*cking pathetic. Seems to me, they employ just enough people to work this inefficiently, and convince you of the need to pay $15 for an overnight.

*correction, day x is the postage date. The envelope is also marked with the date x+1. So seems it took them 5 days just to post mark it. Then another day just to drop it in the mail. F U C - K I N G - P A - T H E - T I C

Now, here is how you know your scores are ready for reporting. You keep going back on their website, and go through the motions as if you will order your scores. When you're selecting which scores to report, it lists which ones will be included. If it says "Subject Physics" or something like that, then the report will include Physics scores, otherwise No.

Don't be confused if you can't view your scores online. I have my score report in hand, and I still can't view my score online. It seems the only way to know when your scores are ready, is just keep checking as mentioned above.

Also, it took about 3 business days to ship the report from New Jersey to Texas. In the US (at least) there will probably be some delay thanks to X-mas.

Hope this helps you and hurts ETS profit margins. (Seriously, how does it take 4 weeks just to run tests through a machine? Burn in Hell ETS)

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:53 am

wavicle wrote:(Seriously, how does it take 4 weeks just to run tests through a machine? Burn in Hell ETS)
Yeah, ETS is maddening sometimes. Don't get me started on the GRE writing section...

But scoring the tests isn't quite that simple... supposedly the scaling of the test is not set until after the tests are given. Each question is analyzed and sometimes questions are thrown out. The test I took had 100 questions of course, but score report I got was graded out of 99. So they definitely do more processing than just scoring the scantrons.
wavicle wrote:Ok, when they say 5 business days to ship a report, they seem to mean it. On my report it says "print date x-5" where x is the postage date, marked on the envelope. Yes, it actually took them 5 days just to print a report, and drop it in the mail. F*cking pathetic. Seems to me, they employ just enough people to work this inefficiently, and convince you of the need to pay $15 for an overnight.
Blah that sucks. My undergrad college drove me nuts with how long it took to ship transcripts. They say it takes 7-10 days to print it out, put it in an envelope and mail it to the address. And when they say 7-10, they mean 7-10. They never ever shipped one before 7 days in all of my time there. When you order a transcript on X/Y/Z, the form must be put in a box that says "Do not open until X/Y+7/Z".
sarthorks wrote:Now that ETS has released the November PGRE scores to the 4 "free" recipients, and scores are accessible through the phone service, is it safe to order Additional Score reports (ASRs)?
It should be. The new scores are now part of your file. But I'd still call the schools when the reports are sent to make sure they got all the scores.