October 15th, 2011 Scores

DanMarcy
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:23 pm

October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby DanMarcy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:44 am

Scores are in, and just in time too! Bagged a 910, 87% percentile. I might just cancel today's test.

AriAstronomer
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 4:53 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby AriAstronomer » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:32 pm

What? How is that possible? Are you sure you're not talking about the general? I thought scores weren't supposed to come out till Nov.25....I'm checking my ETS online account right now and only my general scores are up.

llamacheez
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby llamacheez » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:33 pm

950, 91%. Thanks physicsgre!

Ari, it's by phone--this appears to have happened the past few semesters, where the scores are available the Saturday before their "call on or after" date.

AriAstronomer
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 4:53 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby AriAstronomer » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:42 pm

Im on the automated message right now...it says I need a visa or mastercard....it costs money to just to hear what I got?? i.e. not get scores sent in the mail or anything, but just verbally stated? That seems dirty. So I can pay 12$ and find out now or wait 2 weeks and find out for free....
Last edited by AriAstronomer on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lenivix
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby lenivix » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Agh, I nearly had a heart attack there for a minute! Checked online before reading the rest of the thread and was almost relieved to see nothing there, hah. So, the scores definitely won't be online until the 25th? I guess $12 is probably less than €10 but eh, it does seem a bit underhanded alright! I think I'll wait.

dfeld31
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:04 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby dfeld31 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:52 pm

Can i ask you guys what your raw scores were?

llamacheez
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby llamacheez » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:58 pm

They only gave the scaled score and percentile over the phone.

User avatar
midwestphysics
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:37 am

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby midwestphysics » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:06 pm

ETS has always enjoyed ripping people off. If the scale is anything like last years Oct test the correlation might look something like this.
Raw-Scaled
88 = 990
87 = 980
86 = 970
85 = 960
84 = 950
83 = 940
82 = 930
81 = 920
80 = 910

dfeld31
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:04 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby dfeld31 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:46 pm

midwestphysics wrote:ETS has always enjoyed ripping people off. If the scale is anything like last years Oct test the correlation might look something like this.
Raw-Scaled
88 = 990
87 = 980
86 = 970
85 = 960
84 = 950
83 = 940
82 = 930
81 = 920
80 = 910



Do you have any idea what a raw score in the range of 35-45 might correlate to?

AriAstronomer
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 4:53 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby AriAstronomer » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:49 pm

dfeld31 wrote:
midwestphysics wrote:ETS has always enjoyed ripping people off. If the scale is anything like last years Oct test the correlation might look something like this.
Raw-Scaled
88 = 990
87 = 980
86 = 970
85 = 960
84 = 950
83 = 940
82 = 930
81 = 920
80 = 910



Do you have any idea what a raw score in the range of 35-45 might correlate to?


Just look at any old GRE test, 08 seems the most representative. 35 = 620, 45 = 690

User avatar
midwestphysics
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:37 am

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby midwestphysics » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:06 pm

Yeah, just from the practice tests.
RAW: 35-45

Test Year: 2008
Scaled: 620-690
Test Year: 2001
Scaled: 640-710
Test Year: 1996
Scaled: 730-810
Test Year: 1992
Scaled: 660-740
Test Year: 1986
Scaled: 620-700

so while it could range to as high as 800, I'd expect it to be between 600-700.

King Vitamin
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby King Vitamin » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:03 pm

My score was a 960, 92%.

jwliang11
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:37 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby jwliang11 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:12 pm

I tried calling, it's said my profile is not found. :(
I gave them my confirmation number, birthday and etc.

Does anyone knows what's wrong?

User avatar
midwestphysics
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:37 am

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby midwestphysics » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:37 pm

jwliang11 wrote:I tried calling, it's said my profile is not found. :(
I gave them my confirmation number, birthday and etc.

Does anyone knows what's wrong?

Happens every year, don't worry. Different testers will have their score enter the system at different times. Also, it seems to be better to use your registration number on your admission ticket. Still, most people either don't keep it or had ETS keep it on the test day. So it really is the worst method from our standpoint, but since when has ETS cared about that. :)

laurie711
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:39 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby laurie711 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:45 pm

midwestphysics wrote:
jwliang11 wrote:I tried calling, it's said my profile is not found. :(
I gave them my confirmation number, birthday and etc.

Does anyone knows what's wrong?

Happens every year, don't worry. Different testers will have their score enter the system at different times. Also, it seems to be better to use your registration number on your admission ticket. Still, most people either don't keep it or had ETS keep it on the test day. So it really is the worst method from our standpoint, but since when has ETS cared about that. :)



Same thing happened to me too, glad I'm not the only one. I was hoping they didn't like lose my test or something! But I also tried to get the score from the test I took last year and got the same response. I hope to get it soon!

User avatar
psocket
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby psocket » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:50 am

midwestphysics wrote:Yeah, just from the practice tests.
RAW: 35-45

Test Year: 2008
Scaled: 620-690
Test Year: 2001
Scaled: 640-710
Test Year: 1996
Scaled: 730-810
Test Year: 1992
Scaled: 660-740
Test Year: 1986
Scaled: 620-700

so while it could range to as high as 800, I'd expect it to be between 600-700.


From reading various posts around the forum, I was under the impression that recent tests were easier than the last two practice tests. Wouldn't this also affect the raw score vs. scaled score on the lower end as well? Or, is the level of difficulty (or lack thereof) disproportionately represented in the higher scores (i.e. higher scores are more likely to capitalize on easier tests)? From past 2010 tests, it looks like 45 corresponds to a 620 (October) and 58 a 750 (November).

User avatar
midwestphysics
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:37 am

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby midwestphysics » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:06 pm

psocket wrote:From reading various posts around the forum, I was under the impression that recent tests were easier than the last two practice tests. Wouldn't this also affect the raw score vs. scaled score on the lower end as well? Or, is the level of difficulty (or lack thereof) disproportionately represented in the higher scores (i.e. higher scores are more likely to capitalize on easier tests)? From past 2010 tests, it looks like 45 corresponds to a 620 (October) and 58 a 750 (November).


That was just a table to help people estimate, you won't really know the actual distribution until you get more people posting their score on here. Even then, this forum is dominated primarily by the upper end physics students. It's a skewed perspective on how things went.

borelius
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:33 am

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby borelius » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:17 pm

My score is 900 (86%). Thought I had done better... :(

zhu
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:14 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby zhu » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:26 pm

790 72% f**k f**k f**k f**k

What am I going to do with this score :cry:

User avatar
psocket
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby psocket » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:30 pm

midwestphysics wrote:
psocket wrote:From reading various posts around the forum, I was under the impression that recent tests were easier than the last two practice tests. Wouldn't this also affect the raw score vs. scaled score on the lower end as well? Or, is the level of difficulty (or lack thereof) disproportionately represented in the higher scores (i.e. higher scores are more likely to capitalize on easier tests)? From past 2010 tests, it looks like 45 corresponds to a 620 (October) and 58 a 750 (November).


That was just a table to help people estimate, you won't really know the actual distribution until you get more people posting their score on here. Even then, this forum is dominated primarily by the upper end physics students. It's a skewed perspective on how things went.


Very true about the skewed perspective. I'm going to be lucky (and happy) if I can get in the mid 600's. Being disappointed by a score of 700+, I don't understand.

jwliang11
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:37 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby jwliang11 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:04 pm

750, 64%

AHHHH!!! I thought I have done better too!

Is this good enough, guys? I took the november test yesterday, and
canceled the score, should I reinstate it??
I only answered 80 questions this 2nd time around. :(

vesperlynd
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:28 am

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby vesperlynd » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:50 pm

zhu wrote:790 72% f**k f**k f**k f**k

What am I going to do with this score :cry:

The same thing I did ;-)

Everyone needs to stop worrying about their scores. A multiple choice exam is not worth getting upset over.

Hausdorff
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:40 am

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby Hausdorff » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:58 pm

810 %74
god damn it I had 14 omits

sarthorks
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:36 am

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby sarthorks » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:50 am

Have you guys received your raw scores as well? Could you post that (including # attempted, omitted and wrong) along with the scaled score and percentiles..?

zhu
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:14 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby zhu » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:42 am

sarthorks wrote:Have you guys received your raw scores as well? Could you post that (including # attempted, omitted and wrong) along with the scaled score and percentiles..?


No raw score by phone. I did 88, probably get too many wrong.

arwright3
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:20 am

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby arwright3 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:23 pm

Got an 840, that's a 79th percentile. Kind of upset, thought it went better than that. Would like to be at least one sigma above the average, even if I am a domestic student.

I heard that the average at CalTech is an 880, does anyone know what it is anywhere else? Stanford perhaps?

michael
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:21 am

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby michael » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:49 pm

you mean the average of admitted graduate students or the average score of undergraduates at a particular school?

As a domestic student, I don't think that 840 is too bad: it probably will not count against you in your application.

User avatar
aravi
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:19 am

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby aravi » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:48 am

Score: 880 (84th percentile) :| (I'm an international student hoping to study experimental AMO physics.)
Thanks llamacheez.

Atah
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:54 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby Atah » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:03 pm

Guys, I think october test raw scores are raher tough,aren't they?
as I undestood from other commentaries 87% is only 910, when last tests had 990 for 85%
Do the Universities pay attention to such high scales?

DanMarcy
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby DanMarcy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:50 pm

I think you're mixing up percentile ranking and raw score here. (i.e. a 910 corresponds to a percentile of 87% whereas a raw score of 85 was needed to obtain a 990 on the april test). I got an 87% percentile on the october test, meaning that any score of 910 is now part of the 87th percentile. At the moment, nobody knows their raw score for the October test. Hopefully everybody here will remember to edit their posts in the future to provide the information. I know I will.

Atah
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:54 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby Atah » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:04 pm

So is everything ok with scaling of october test?
As I understood, we don't know how to count the percentile, even if you know your raw scores?

Atah
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:54 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby Atah » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:27 pm

I still couldn't get my scores by phone.My profile can't be found.....:(

gresucks
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:58 am

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby gresucks » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:59 am

I got 990, 95%
hope this helps. I cant believe they made me pay 13 bucks for my grade. %$#% thieves!

Atah
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:54 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby Atah » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:17 pm

Guys I got 850. 80 %. How do you think what are my chances to be admitted to top schools?And which top schools should I apply for with such scores?Thanks

iatheia
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:09 am

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby iatheia » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:57 pm

610 (34%). Meh. I did say going into it that I would be happy with anything above 600, as I kept topping out at 590 every tome I took the practice test. So... *deadpan* Ya-ay.

sarthorks
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:36 am

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby sarthorks » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:09 am

I guess the online scores for October GRE with raw scores breakup should be out by tomorrow...

DanMarcy
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby DanMarcy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:30 pm

Got my scores in the mail today. They didn't come with a score breakdown. I'm somewhat disappointed. When do these usually come out?

phrygian777
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:31 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby phrygian777 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:03 am

My score is online but only the scaled score and percentile are shown, where can you see more details such as number of questions missed?

shep23
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:18 pm

Re: October 15th, 2011 Scores

Postby shep23 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:08 pm

phrygian777 wrote:My score is online but only the scaled score and percentile are shown, where can you see more details such as number of questions missed?


Anyone figure out an answer to this in the last 3 years?




Return to “Scores and Score Reporting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest