Post by blacksl » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:43 am

Hello everybody

I have,
Physics GRE Score: 840
GRE Quantitative: 740
GRE Verbal: 310
GRE Writing: 2

I have moderate research experience.
I'm planing to apply to gatech and iowa state for experimental condensed matter physics. Do you think those are possible target for me?

Thanks.

schwiss

Re: Hi

Post by schwiss » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:07 am

blacksl wrote:Hello everybody

I have,
Physics GRE Score: 840
GRE Quantitative: 740
GRE Verbal: 310
GRE Writing: 2

I have moderate research experience.
I'm planing to apply to gatech and iowa state for experimental condensed matter physics. Do you think those are possible target for me?

Thanks.
Well, hello there.

Although your PGRE seems fine, the verbal is bad even for an international (for your sake I hope you are an international), and the AW is, I'm sorry to say, horrible. What was your TOEFL score? I realize TOEFL doesn't have anything to do with physics, but you will find getting accepted very hard unless you can speak, write and understand English well enough.

blacksl

Post by blacksl » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:01 pm

I had 85 on TOEFL

schwiss

Post by schwiss » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:17 pm

blacksl wrote:I had 85 on TOEFL
That might be barely enough. Some schools have a limit of 100, some have a limit of 86 (IIRC). Sometimes the cutoff is hard, sometimes not.

So, the TOEFL might be enough, in which case I think your GRE is also good enough. However, no one can really tell you anything based on only those facts. What was your GPA? Major? From how well-known university you are? The field from which you have the research also matters. In addition, your letters of recommendation are of great importance.

I'm sorry, this was probably not very helpful. I don't know much about GA tech or Iowa state, but in any case I think you might want to apply to more than just 2 schools, even if they were "safeties".

blacksl

Post by blacksl » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:01 pm

Thanks Schwiss,
my GPA 3.8/4 and I'm a Physics major student. my undergrad institue is not well recgnize one but its best in my country. I have moderate experience in research work in Bio Physics and Material Physics ( Elipsometry)

Actually im currently live in USA (ASU) any I'm going to transfer due to a personal isue ( My wife also going to start her grad studies in Physics :) ) I almost complete 3 semesters and passed the Qualifying. But I dnt have much research experience. I have done two research work over here and advisers were really satisfyed about it.

I'm realy interesting about material physics, thats why im applying to Iowas sate and GATECH.
There are 3 more schools that im going to apply. which are
U Tennessee
U Nebraska
U new Mexico

I saw U Nebraska has good program in material physics but i dnt know whether it has a good reputation. U new mexico also has the same problem.
UT is a prety decent school and it has some reputaion and they have colaboration with ORNL. I thinks its a plus point for future works ( Job)

Im looking for your opinion
Thanks