Preparation Strategy - Minoring in Physics | Appearing PGRE 2016

skaushik1060

Preparation Strategy - Minoring in Physics | Appearing PGRE 2016

Post by skaushik1060 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:33 am

Hello

I'm an aerospace engineering student with minor in physics. I have done basic courses in Classical, Quantum, Stat. and EM theory as a part of my minor program, and am aware of the content covering the bulk of GRE. But, I'm having difficulty in attempting the rest of the paper - particle physics, optics, and a few other chunks. Given that I'll be attempting the test in Oct 2016 (two months away), what books/resources should I follow so that I cover the material efficiently, optimal to the GRE level.

Expecting a quick response.

Qwaps

Re: Preparation Strategy - Minoring in Physics | Appearing PGRE 2016

Post by Qwaps » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:29 pm

Opticss at the PGRE level can be readily learned in a week. Some other topics, as experimental, particle and solid-state physics might not be worth the effort in studying, given how vast these topics are, and how little questions of these topics actually appear on the PGRE (especially true for experimental physics and solid state physics). However, you should be able to learn some basic particle physics and some rudimentary error analysis tools. You should not spend more than a month learning these new topics, and you SHOULD practice with the 5 exams available before taking the actual PGRE.