Would like help planning for PGRE

random_soldier1337

Would like help planning for PGRE

Post by random_soldier1337 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:10 pm

I am a graduate of Electronics and Communications Engineering and I have graduated just this year.

I was hoping to do a Masters in a branch of Physics and I believe giving the PGRE would help my case.

I plan on giving it on the 29th of October. Is it possible for me to go through with this? If so, can you guys help me form a plan. Even more important, if somebody has gone through their physics books well enough, could you help me pick out the important questions?

Qwaps

Re: Would like help planning for PGRE

Post by Qwaps » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:16 pm

It is possible to obtain quite a good score if you know most of the topics already. You should absolutely do the 5 available practice exams and check what topics you do wrong to see where to focus your study. For example, I noticed I was quite weak in using spectroscopic notation, selection rules (both of which I didn't quite know by heart when I was doing the actual exam), EM fields in matter, resonance in RLC circuits and dipole radiation (which I did quite well on during the actual exam). Of course, the topics you need some extra focus on depends on your background.

Now, back to your original question. The PGRE is usually required for PhD. programs in the US. So if you are using it as a diagnostic tool for your knowledge & level of physics, it might be better to just do the 5 practice exams, and not take the actual PGRE (unless you have some extra $150 dollars to use).

random_soldier1337

Post by random_soldier1337 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:48 pm

Well truthfully, I am not familiar with many of the topics. I only know those which were a part of my syllabus i.e. relevant to it such as solid state physics, electromagnetism, etc. Everything else is from High school.

Guess I should skip it then. Are there going to be any problems applying for my masters in a strictly physics field with my current qualifications?

random_soldier1337

Post by random_soldier1337 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:31 am

bump