GRE physics preparation for engineering student

FranCliP

GRE physics preparation for engineering student

Post by FranCliP » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:31 pm

Hi friends,
I am electrical engineering student interested in doing master in nuclear fusion engineering and technology in erasmus mundus , for this they require GRE physics score ,so i have decided to take GRE physics test, but the problem is i am currently working so i can only evening time and week end time for preparation .so one year of preparation will be sufficient for GRE physics preparation or more than that will be required for it , I have basic intuition only in classical physics and no other things i know .So what should i do now take GRE physics or drop it out. Please clarify me on this.

TakeruK

Re: GRE physics preparation for engineering student

Post by TakeruK » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:00 pm

Are you able to take free online courses in the core physics classes? You only need to know up to the 3rd year of undergraduate physics courses to know enough material to do well. Take a look at the Physics GRE topics tested and make sure you take a free online class in those topics. Usually, this means classes in:

Two freshman/first year physics courses that cover basic things like classical mechanics, waves, optics, etc. (Usually this is taught as a year long course at most universities)
A basic physics laboratory course, particularly for things like error analysis
Thermodynamics
Quantum Mechanics (one course, but not the "modern physics" course)
Electromagnetism (one course beyond freshman/first year level)
Special Relativity (usually taught as part of "modern physics" course)

I think the minimum knowledge would be these 7 courses, normally taught within the first 3 years of a physics degree. Finding online or self-teaching these courses would help you a lot.

FranCliP

Post by FranCliP » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:18 am

TakeruK wrote:Are you able to take free online courses in the core physics classes? You only need to know up to the 3rd year of undergraduate physics courses to know enough material to do well. Take a look at the Physics GRE topics tested and make sure you take a free online class in those topics. Usually, this means classes in:

Two freshman/first year physics courses that cover basic things like classical mechanics, waves, optics, etc. (Usually this is taught as a year long course at most universities)
A basic physics laboratory course, particularly for things like error analysis
Thermodynamics
Quantum Mechanics (one course, but not the "modern physics" course)
Electromagnetism (one course beyond freshman/first year level)
Special Relativity (usually taught as part of "modern physics" course)

I think the minimum knowledge would be these 7 courses, normally taught within the first 3 years of a physics degree. Finding online or self-teaching these courses would help you a lot.
Thanks Takeruk , I can take online courses from edx and Coursera ,NPTEL and khan academy, Is it Okay for the preparation

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:21 pm

I don't know for sure since I have not taken those courses. Maybe try taking one of them and then attempting some of the GRE questions on that topic and see if you have learned the right things? In any case, taking those courses surely won't hurt you!