joining in MS astrophysics requires PGRE?

karthik_0206

joining in MS astrophysics requires PGRE?

Post by karthik_0206 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:12 am

is PHYSICS GRE mandatory need for those who are willing to pursue their MS in astrophysics/astronomy? or GRE is enough? which universities in USA needs this?

Malavika

Re: joining in MS astrophysics requires PGRE?

Post by Malavika » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:56 am

hello,
i intend to do my MS in Astrophysics too. I am currently doing my undergrad in Electrical Engineering so my hold on physics is not that great. I wanted to know how you proceeded with your MS. Did you write PGRE? was that mandatory?

lordbadri

Re: joining in MS astrophysics requires PGRE?

Post by lordbadri » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:53 pm

Well PGRE is mandatory for most of the universities..........but there are a few with standalone MS programs that just recommend you take it....in my opinion taking the PGRE will put you on the safer side.....having a score is way better then not having a score at all.Some universities also make you take the Major Field test once you are admitted in the program after a semester or so.....for example you might not need an excellent PGRE score to get into SFSU masters program in physics or physics with Astronomy concentration but you would have to clear the MFT after a semester to take the graduate level physics courses.