Expiration Date

myjlt

Expiration Date

Post by myjlt » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:22 pm

Hi guys,

I like to take PGRE 3 years before applying graduate school, since I have to do military service before after junior year.
Is the test score going to be expired after 3 years? I searched for ETS website, but I couldn't find it..

HappyQuark

Re: Expiration Date

Post by HappyQuark » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:51 pm

myjlt wrote:Hi guys,

I like to take PGRE 3 years before applying graduate school, since I have to do military service before after junior year.
Is the test score going to be expired after 3 years? I searched for ETS website, but I couldn't find it..
If I remember correctly, the PGRE is supposed to be valid up to 5 years after you've taken it. With that said, submitting a PGRE score that is 3 years old will probably be seen by the admissions committee as not particularly informative. 3 years is a long time to be away from physics to just jump back in as if everything was still fresh on your mind.

myjlt

Post by myjlt » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:47 pm

HappyQuark wrote:
myjlt wrote: If I remember correctly, the PGRE is supposed to be valid up to 5 years after you've taken it. With that said, submitting a PGRE score that is 3 years old will probably be seen by the admissions committee as not particularly informative. 3 years is a long time to be away from physics to just jump back in as if everything was still fresh on your mind.
Thanks a lot !

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:35 am

myjlt wrote:
HappyQuark wrote:
myjlt wrote: If I remember correctly, the PGRE is supposed to be valid up to 5 years after you've taken it. With that said, submitting a PGRE score that is 3 years old will probably be seen by the admissions committee as not particularly informative. 3 years is a long time to be away from physics to just jump back in as if everything was still fresh on your mind.
Thanks a lot !
No problem. For future reference, here is a link that can help you with other PGRE related questions.

http://tinyurl.com/3cdhnyc

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:10 am

HappyQuark wrote:If I remember correctly, the PGRE is supposed to be valid up to 5 years after you've taken it. With that said, submitting a PGRE score that is 3 years old will probably be seen by the admissions committee as not particularly informative. 3 years is a long time to be away from physics to just jump back in as if everything was still fresh on your mind.
Oh pshaw! Maybe the human brain does have an expiration date but I haven't run mine out yet and I'm way past 3 years on.

astroprof

Post by astroprof » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:54 am

Since GRE scores are valid for 5 years, a school cannot reject your application
merely because the scores are a few years out of date. There are distinct advantages
to taking the P-GRE now, while the material is still fresh and you have your problem
solving skills honed for this specific task. If you take the exam closer to the time
you apply to graduate schools, you may find it difficult to reach that same peak of
knowledge while working (or serving in the military) as you will have many other demands
on your time. In essence, you would have to return to peak physics knowledge twice,
once for the P-GRE and again 9-months later when you start graduate school. So,
if you think you will score well on the P-GRE now, it may be to your advantage to
take the test. To be fair, the major disadvantage of taking the test now is that you
may end up not applying for graduate school within the five year window, and thus
this would be a waste of time and money. To this end, I recommend waiting to take
the General Test until you are certain that you are applying to graduate schools.

BTW, you should also be thinking about who will write letters of recommendation for
you. You might consider approaching your letter writers now to explain the situation.
Most professors will be understanding and, with this advanced warning, may be able
to write the letter now (while your performance in their class/group is still memorable). You
can then contact them when you are ready to apply to graduate schools, update them
with what you have done in the intervening years so they can update the letters
appropriately, and therefore retain a strong portfolio with relevant letters.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:19 pm

astroprof wrote:Since GRE scores are valid for 5 years, a school cannot reject your application
merely because the scores are a few years out of date. There are distinct advantages
to taking the P-GRE now, while the material is still fresh and you have your problem
solving skills honed for this specific task. If you take the exam closer to the time
you apply to graduate schools, you may find it difficult to reach that same peak of
knowledge while working (or serving in the military) as you will have many other demands
on your time. In essence, you would have to return to peak physics knowledge twice,
once for the P-GRE and again 9-months later when you start graduate school. So,
if you think you will score well on the P-GRE now, it may be to your advantage to
take the test. To be fair, the major disadvantage of taking the test now is that you
may end up not applying for graduate school within the five year window, and thus
this would be a waste of time and money. To this end, I recommend waiting to take
the General Test until you are certain that you are applying to graduate schools.

BTW, you should also be thinking about who will write letters of recommendation for
you. You might consider approaching your letter writers now to explain the situation.
Most professors will be understanding and, with this advanced warning, may be able
to write the letter now (while your performance in their class/group is still memorable). You
can then contact them when you are ready to apply to graduate schools, update them
with what you have done in the intervening years so they can update the letters
appropriately, and therefore retain a strong portfolio with relevant letters.
Great advice, thank you!