Inquiry: Seeking Resources on Boosting My Basic Math

HF2008
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:00 pm

Inquiry: Seeking Resources on Boosting My Basic Math

Postby HF2008 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:34 pm

To All,

1. I test really bad, so before I even start talking about the PGRE does anyone know any books that help you test better?

2. I also need to get my mathematics up to speed for my GRE quantitative, so where are some good sources on that? While we are on the topic on mathematics, my calculus needs alot of work. I am really good at single derivative and integral stuff, but I start sucking bad at triple integrals and polar coordinates, etc. I need to know what books I can read.

3. How can I retain what I learn? My brain is like a really crappy hard drive going bad, it just dumps information.

4. I test poorly. What can I do to be a better test taker? Make fun of me all I want, I don't care, I do need to know how I can take tests better. Studying and working hard is not the problem. Maybe the saying "Work smarter, not harder" is true and necessary for me. So please give advice.

After I hear you answers on this, maybe I can then tackle on how to attack the PGRE.

Thanks,
HF2008

CarlBrannen
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 pm

Re: Inquiry: Seeking Resources on Boosting My Basic Math

Postby CarlBrannen » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:18 am

I think that the biggest thing is just devoting a larger percentage of your brain to math. You do this by devoting time to the subject.

For example, if you do multiplication problems in your head while driving you will soon find that you are faster at multiplying then pretty much anyone else you know. The same applies to calculus or anything else.

(Uh, while you're doing this, just try to stay out of my lane.)

User avatar
sphy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 am

Re: Inquiry: Seeking Resources on Boosting My Basic Math

Postby sphy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:50 am

HF2008 wrote:
1. I test really bad, so before I even start talking about the PGRE does anyone know any books that help you test better?

Barrons book is tested by millions of us. And it tests sweet after the test. So try this. And Nova's quantitative section.
HF2008 wrote:
2. I also need to get my mathematics up to speed for my GRE quantitative, so where are some good sources on that? While we are on the topic on mathematics, my calculus needs alot of work. I am really good at single derivative and integral stuff, but I start sucking bad at triple integrals and polar coordinates, etc. I need to know what books I can read.

There is no calculus involved in the GRE quantitative just simple high school mathematics. And if you want to build up calculus for your physics preparation then try Jerrold Marsden series.
HF2008 wrote:
3. How can I retain what I learn? My brain is like a really crappy hard drive going bad, it just dumps information.

* Install a 1000 GB hard drive, get formatted. just kidding. :lol:
* Oom you have to develop a schedule to study, and make it a strict a habit to study at particular time. So your brain will train you in that way, and the memory game will improve. Study when you feel like studying.
* Do some Yoga, Mild exercises, and pursue your hobbies.
* Take breaks for 5-10 mins after a session of 30-40 mins of study. Don't study the same thing over a long period of time. Change your topics.
HF2008 wrote:
4. I test poorly. What can I do to be a better test taker? Make fun of me all I want, I don't care, I do need to know how I can take tests better. Studying and working hard is not the problem. Maybe the saying "Work smarter, not harder" is true and necessary for me. So please give advice.

Nothing can be said here just practice makes every body perfect. Time yourself strictly, Practice previous problems sets with real exam like spirit. And feel confident no matter what your mind constantly buzzing in the core. Just ignore the fearful voice of your mind and train it to speak affirmations.
And the most important thing is that don't take yourself too seriously. Every thing will be fine.



That said, I wish all the very best to your future and to you.

HF2008
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:00 pm

Re: Inquiry: Seeking Resources on Boosting My Basic Math

Postby HF2008 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:12 pm

Hi,

Thank you both for your prompt and informative reply. I will purchase the books you suggested (so I can mark them up). As for suggestions on studying, I know people are different and hence, variation. However, how many hours do you suggest I study a day to retain this information? I know the smart #ss answer is to say, as much as required. It is true, but ball park figures are what I am after here. I just don't want to be good at this stuff, I want to be the best I can be. I may be mentally disabled compared to other very smart people in this field, but even if I was given a poor hand in cards, you can still maximize your game.

Since we discussed exercise. Why not diet? I have been on a diet of pizza and soda. While I am not obese, I do not think that is completely conductive to building my brain.

As for hobby's, I want to get into Astronomy. Do you know of any good intro books on celestrial mechanics? I don't just want to point a telescope at the moon, I want to be able to understand the astrophysics behind it. Oh yeah, please suggest some good constellation books or telescopes. I also am debating whether or not to play chess or Japanese "go". Which is better? I think it would boost my memory. Any votes on that?

You guys are very kind. Keep the comments coming.




Return to “Registration and Test Preparation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest