Nov 2010 Physics GRE (5 week preparation)

newton2012

Nov 2010 Physics GRE (5 week preparation)

Post by newton2012 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:51 pm

Hey guys,

I just decided that when I graduate this Dec with my M.S. in biomedical engineering, that I want to pursue a PhD in physics. My undergraduate was in math and have 24 credits in physics. My M.S. work was with medical physics.

I only registered for the physics GRE today, and I need to start cramming! I did some reading on this forum and the general vibe I got for the best way to study is to use Halliday, Resnick, Walker. While I do not own a copy of HRW, I do own University Physics by Young & Freedman.

For my study plan, I was going to studying the four practice exams from ETS, and use Young & Freedman to compliment. Do you guys think this is a good plan, and what could I do better? Is it worth getting the HRW book?

physics_auth

Re: Nov 2010 Physics GRE (5 week preparation)

Post by physics_auth » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:28 am

newton2012 wrote:Hey guys

For my study plan, I was going to studying the four practice exams from ETS, and use Young & Freedman to compliment. Do you guys think this is a good plan, and what could I do better? Is it worth getting the HRW book?

Your question is how to improve your last minute cramming? ... anyway ... you will probably receive responses about that but these responses will be based either on common sense or individual experience ... which most times doesn't help! Weigh up your strengths and you 'll find out if your study program is operational or not.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:55 am

An introductory physics book will definitely not cover enough of what you need to know for the GRE... and the practice tests won't themselves "teach" you what you don't know... They may point you some topics you still have to learn. Either way you'll need to consult some additional books, such as from your 2nd and 3rd year courses... many things can also be looked up online (like standard model).

newton2012

Post by newton2012 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:24 am

Should have included this in my original post, but I also have Introduction to Electrodynamics by Griffiths and Schaum's Outlines Quantum Mechanics, and Schaum's Electromagnetics. Hopefully this is enough!

vesperlynd

Post by vesperlynd » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:16 pm

Last edited by vesperlynd on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kroner

Post by kroner » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:32 am

You don't technically need any books to study effectively. There are plenty of resources online that can give you the detail you need to fill in the gaps for topics you find yourself lacking in. If you've got books, they're helpful, but it's not the only option.