Help with Studying

Roses

Help with Studying

Post by Roses » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:32 pm

So, I just took the October test today. I thought I had studied very well, I read all my old books, and looked over all the old tests multiple times, but I still feel like I did poorly on this test. I will be taking it again in November and was wondering if people have any additional tips that they use for studying. I just don't know what more to do. I can answer almost every question in the practice tests (I mean working through the problems, not just from memorization), and I don't know how many more equations I can memorize without shoving other stuff out.

Any suggestions?

physics_auth

Re: Help with Studying

Post by physics_auth » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:53 am

Roses wrote:So, I just took the October test today. I thought I had studied very well, I read all my old books, and looked over all the old tests multiple times, but I still feel like I did poorly on this test. I will be taking it again in November and was wondering if people have any additional tips that they use for studying. I just don't know what more to do. I can answer almost every question in the practice tests (I mean working through the problems, not just from memorization), and I don't know how many more equations I can memorize without shoving other stuff out.

Any suggestions?
Assuming that fatigue is the factor that interferred with your efficiency during the test day ... I advise you avoid last minute cramming or last-minute-intense-practice. In other words, avoid reading 3 days before the exams ... simply rest. If, on the other hand, insufficient preparation is the factor that interferred with your efficiency, then you had better review again the parts which you didn't practice sufficiently on and go more confident in the next exam. I cannot think of any other reasons for now ... .

pamel

Post by pamel » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:03 pm

You should consider relaxing yourself, if you believe, you have over-worked, especially the last few days to the exam.

Mental Fatigue only exacerbates your performance to a bare minimum, which in turn debilitates your confidence. Don't over-work.

Be confident, thats all it takes to it. Your preparation was good, hence the questions you did, if all of them are right[ assuming a good number of them are attempted confidently ], will fetch you a nice score.

Write lots of tests, solve problems of all kinds. Above all, analysis is very important than just having a glance at the solution.

Good Luck :)

Roses

Post by Roses » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:04 pm

What would people suggest to help study for those questions that are really just, you know them or you don't. I find that I sometimes just don't have a clue as to what they are talking about (bound to happen some of the time when they can ask about anything), but am wondering if there are any good study materials that would help me prepare for questions like 0177 #20.

physics_auth

Post by physics_auth » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:46 pm

Roses wrote:What would people suggest to help study for those questions that are really just, you know them or you don't. I find that I sometimes just don't have a clue as to what they are talking about (bound to happen some of the time when they can ask about anything), but am wondering if there are any good study materials that would help me prepare for questions like 0177 #20.
If the whole problem is germane to the type of questions you exemplified, then you probably need to gain some further preparation in theoretical topics. I would suggest the book "Modern Physics" of Kenneth Krane ... it does the job very well. Besides, far from being a very readable book, it is also easy to distill from it the information you need for your PGRE-test-preparation. My answer is based on the tacit assumption that you have the necessary background (here I mean this-> that you don't have so many gaps in your knowledge that could interfere with the study of this delightful book) to proceed with this book - however, the prerequisites are very few for the readers ... and I think that almost anybody can follow it ... . If you think that you cannot cover all this stuff in the time interval till the exam day then give a try to "Modern Physics" of Schaum's series (and solve a few exercises)!