What things are you planning to memorize

Imperate

What things are you planning to memorize

Post by Imperate » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:18 am

...that you would normally just derive, and not learn by heart.
For example I've discovered remembering the moments of inertia of spheres, rods, cylinders saves me a lot of time, but I would normally just derive these in any other test.
Anything else sim to this anyone has found speeds them up just committing to memory (other than formulas of course)?

Unnatural Log

Re: What things are you planning to memorize

Post by Unnatural Log » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:26 am

Man, I've got so much crap memorized right now, it's not even funny.

As for stuff I would usually derive... I'm memorizing a few specific electric and magnetic fields. Rocket velocity too. Also, the special relativity "right triangles" - i.e., if v = 3/5 c, the 3-4-5 right triangle tells me immediately that gamma is 5/4. Saves 30 seconds or so. There's also just some answers I've accidentally memorized because they're on multiple practice tests - like the 5/27 ratio for hydrogen emission wavelength problem.

I think I know all the derivable formulas I need pretty well. Right now, I'm focusing on memorizing some of the more "out there" parts of the test - logic gates, filter circuits, the list of particles, properties of semi- and super- conductors, etc. Definitely not as important as the basic stuff, but I'm having a harder time memorizing some of it because I can't just remember a formula.

By the way, don't they give you the moment of inertias that you need on the front page now?

Imperate

Post by Imperate » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:54 am

By the way, don't they give you the moment of inertias that you need on the front page now?
haha! can't believe I hadn't noticed that, guess I can delete those from memory and make space for something else now.
As for stuff I would usually derive... I'm memorizing a few specific electric and magnetic fields. Rocket velocity too. Also, the special relativity "right triangles" - i.e., if v = 3/5 c, the 3-4-5 right triangle tells me immediately that gamma is 5/4. Saves 30 seconds or so. There's also just some answers I've accidentally memorized because they're on multiple practice tests - like the 5/27 ratio for hydrogen emission wavelength problem.
You mean the rocket velocity formula that reared its head back in Q61 on 8677?

I'm in the same situation really, I think I've more or less got the core stuff down, logic gates confuse the hell out me though, guess that will be a case of committing OR/AND and so on to memory.

I've also found it useful memorizing simple stuff like sqrt2, sqrt3, ln2, ln3 just saves time trying to deduce in the exam, as well as things like cos60=0.5 sin60=sqrt3/2, cos 30=sqrt3/2, sin30=0.5, cos45=sin45=1/sqrt2 etc, saves messing with triangles.

Helio

Post by Helio » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:12 am

high pass filters......

muonman

Post by muonman » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:15 pm

Gamma tables in relativity. (Values of gamma for a given beta, normalized in c).

Unnatural Log

Post by Unnatural Log » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:35 pm

I think I've finally memorized logic gates, filter circuits, semiconductors, superconductors, and particle classifications. This was made a little easier when I just realized today that the word "donate" contains the letter N, and the word "accept" contains the letter P, as in semiconductors. :D

I think I know everything I need to know, with the exception of two topics: quantum mechanic perturbation theory and normal mode frequencies. I'm wondering if it's worth my while to learn these over the next week. I'll probably put in the effort to do so if I can find a good web source explaining these topics.

PoincareSection

Post by PoincareSection » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:02 pm

Everything about Positronium, also the p-p and c-n-o cycles