zxcv's blog comments

zxcv

zxcv's blog comments

Post by zxcv » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:44 am

If you have any comments on my posts, respond here.

grae313

Re: zxcv's blog comments

Post by grae313 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:19 pm

Ugh.. did you seriously just say that Davis is in a nice location? Davis/Sacramento is the armpit of CA. :mrgreen: And it smells like cow ***. Clearly, CA does not use deodorant (damn hippy)...

doom

Post by doom » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:29 pm

And I don't see how you can say that San Diego is not a good location.

VT

Post by VT » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:55 pm

yeah mee too, doom. Why is San Diego not a good location zxcv?

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:21 pm

Okay, so my sense of location is subjective, like everyone else's :). In particular, I think anywhere in CA is better than anywhere east of the Rookies :D. I like that Davis is (relatively) close to the Sierras. I'm really pretty into hiking and outdoors stuff, so I like the idea that that is possible from Davis -- good areas for that are much less convenient around San Diego, which is mostly desert. I grew up in Oregon, so it's also a bit closer to what I'm familiar with. The beach is not what gets me excited about a place, but if beach and surfing really get you going, San Diego is the place to be, no doubt.

In terms of the actual campus, I had forgotten that the central valley is soooo flat. Also, I hear it gets ridiculously hot in the summer. UCSD has an advantage there, but at least Davis is accessible to bicycle transportation. I think that's pretty cool (the UCSD area did not work well on a bike).

Anyways, this is pretty mute at this point, as baring anything really bizarre on my visit, I'm far more likely to go to Berkeley than Davis. Or U of Washington, possibly. I would consider both to have better locations than Davis or San Diego.

doom

Post by doom » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:48 am

I'll be very interested to read your post about Washington after you visit this weekend. I'm admitted but wasn't invited to the visit weekend. (I was admitted second wave.) I am waiting to hear if they'll cover visiting costs for me, but I may have to rely on whatever info I can gather at a distance.

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:52 am

That's a tough situation, doom. I really hope you get the chance to visit, because we all know how important it is to get a personal sense of a place before you plan to spend 5-7 years there.

IMHO, it's irresponsible for a school to admit someone (even second wave) and not give them the chance to visit. Or if not irresponsible it's plain foolish, because you're not going to go to that school anyways if you haven't seen it. I know that would be true for me if I get off some wait list at the last moment for UCSB or Caltech. Why take the risk?

It would have made more sense for UW to take the $500 cost of visiting out of your bonus stipend in the first year (which is the same as mine, by the way) than to not cover the cost of travel.