DOOMsday Blog Comments

doom

DOOMsday Blog Comments

Post by doom » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:12 pm

Any comments on my blog can go here. I greatly appreciate feedback. Thanks to those who have already PMed me with comments.

Now that I have a comment section, I might start adding questions in my blog posts, and those discussions can also go here.

Grant
site admin

Re: DOOMsday Blog Comments

Post by Grant » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:39 pm

feel even more like I'm posting into a vacuum
I just want to mention that huge number of people read what people write on this site. For example just yesterday February 28, 2008 we received over 1,000 referrals from Google alone for hundreds of different keywords like "gpa conversion", "ranking of brown in physics", "ucsb physics reputation", Most of these visitors just read what you all have to say about these topics and then continue about their business. Some of these people become frequent visitors who read a lot and never post. Only a very small percentage of people ever decide to register for the forums and of those only a few will decide to comment on blogs. Regardless, you are not posting in a vacuum as the number of people who will read and benefit from your blogs over the next 5+ years will be huge. If you want to share your knowledge and experiences with current and future physics students then this site is a good vehicle for you :)

grae313

Post by grae313 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:20 pm

Grant wrote:
feel even more like I'm posting into a vacuum
I just want to mention that huge number of people read what people write on this site. For example just yesterday February 28, 2008 we received over 1,000 referrals from Google alone for hundreds of different keywords like "gpa conversion", "ranking of brown in physics", "ucsb physics reputation", Most of these visitors just read what you all have to say about these topics and then continue about their business. Some of these people become frequent visitors who read a lot and never post. Only a very small percentage of people ever decide to register for the forums and of those only a few will decide to comment on blogs. Regardless, you are not posting in a vacuum as the number of people who will read and benefit from your blogs over the next 5+ years will be huge. If you want to share your knowledge and experiences with current and future physics students then this site is a good vehicle for you :)
That's pretty cool, Grant. I didn't know there were that many google referrals!

VT

Post by VT » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:27 pm

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, i was the one who typed RANKING OF BROWN IN PHysics, hahahaha
this is very funny.

VT

Post by VT » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:41 pm

Hey doom when are you visiting Minnesota? Have you finalized your plans yet?

doom

Post by doom » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:26 am

I am going to visit on the 28th-29th. I just contacted them about my plans on Thursday.

fermiboy

Post by fermiboy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:42 am

Hey doom, I'm feeling the same way as you are. Since Stanford, Yale, and Cornell all rejected me, I'm thinking thoughts about how I'm not good enough to cut it as a theorist. However, I'm going to use it as a motivator to really work hard in grad school, and show all those admissions people the mistake they made when I do some groundbreaking work. You should do the same.

doom

Post by doom » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:09 pm

fermiboy,

Thanks for the encouragement. And I agree with you completely. In fact, those were the same feelings I have, but the blog post was intended to capture mostly the negative feelings associated with a rejection.

Those schools will rue the day that they rejected members of the 700 club. :mrgreen:

will

Post by will » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:12 am

I know you're a HEP cat, but when you visited Ohio State, did they talk about the cold atom group at all?

I'm kicking myself for missing the open house, since I'm 99% sure that I'm going there.

brothermalcolm

Post by brothermalcolm » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:18 am

Read through your whole trip to Ohio and thank you for that, especially since I've also applied for HEP theory. Have you possibly met Prof. Shigemitsu ? I have heard of her research before in Lattice and it seems v cool.

I've actually been accepted but without specification of field, although I applied for HEP theory. Wonder if you did get a field specified or not?

doom

Post by doom » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:02 pm

As far as cold atoms at OSU, all I know is that Dr. Braaten in HEP theory also works on cold atoms. He said that a lot of techniques from heavy quark physics also apply to theoretical cold atom work. But I am very set on theory in general and pretty set on HEP theory, so unless it was HEP or nuclear theory, it mostly went in one ear and out the other, sorry.

I did talk briefly to Dr. Shigemitsu, at the HEP theory poster at the poster session. She was not available to meet with later in the afternoon (don't know why). She was very friendly and explained more about lattice gauge theory to me. Specifically, she told me that there is a lot of analytical understanding and work that goes into it, it's not just all computational work. Don't know any specifics like whether she'll be looking for new students in the next few years or not.

No, I was not accepted into any specific field. I put HEP theory on my application and they accepted me into the department, that's about all I know.