Grae's Blog Comments

grae313

Grae's Blog Comments

Post by grae313 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:53 pm

comment away, if you are so inclined. :P

I'm going to keep this first post updated as a table of contents, with links to my blog topics and summaries.

1. On Motivation and Success. AKA: how grae learned to jump through hoops
Posted: 2008/02/22
My story on dropping out of my crappy college, going through depression, finding motivation, and finally, finding success.

2. Getting into Stanford feels weird
Posted: 2008/02/23
Ramblings

3. Contacting "Famous" Professors
Posted: 2008/02/24
My failed attempt at contact a famous prof about his research, and what I learned. Make sure it doesn't happen to you!

4. Keeping Organized with Spreadsheets
Posted: 2008/02/25
Some downloadable spreadsheets and tips for keeping organized in the application process.

5. Well ***...
Posted: 2008/02/28
UCLA makes me a nice offer and makes my life much more difficult.

doom

Re: Grae's Blog Comments

Post by doom » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:13 pm

I guess nobody's really that into commenting about blogs, huh? ;)

I have enjoyed reading your blog so far, and I decided to steal your idea of having the big, colorful headings in the posts.

Maybe that'll help catch my blog up with yours in terms of page views. Not that it's a competition or anything... or that I've even checked to see who has the more popular blog. ;) :D

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:05 pm

yeah, guess not :P

The thread views are mostly bots anyway, but yeah I keep looking for some reason too... lol. I've been reading your blog, as well, and I bet others are but haven't felt like commenting.

doom

Post by doom » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:23 pm

How do you know that the page views are bots? I'm not especially knowledgeable about this type of thing. Dang, I thought I was Mr. Popular there for a minute... :)

Yeah, I'm sure people read the blogs, though. And the next generation will probably find some help from them.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:27 pm

on the front page you can see who is logged in at any given time, and you will usually see a large number of "guests." These are script bots who look through every forum on the net.

doom

Post by doom » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:30 pm

Ah. I naively assumed that the guests were all unregistered users.

Apparently the bots like you better, then. :) Maybe it's because they know you're a girl. ;)

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:40 pm

doom wrote:Maybe it's because they know you're a girl. ;)
that must be it :D

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:38 pm

I've been reading the blogs, I just don't really have any intelligent comments. Then again, why has that ever stopped me :)
grae313 wrote:I got into Stanford applied physics last night. I think I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, and even a bit guilty. I know that I'm qualified, and that I deserve to get into these schools, but I also know that there are applicants who are even more qualified and who also deserve to get in that didn't and won't. I'm pretty sure that I've had so much success because I am female, and because as a female, my application really stands out.
Are you equating "more qualified" with "better test scores"? The GRE has a high bogus factor. You've got publications, an inspirational story, the whole nine yards. The fact that you're female merely cancels the GRE score silliness, leaving you even. Nothing to feel guilty about.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:43 pm

dlenmn wrote:Are you equating "more qualified" with "better test scores"? The GRE has a high bogus factor. You've got publications, an inspirational story, the whole nine yards. The fact that you're female merely cancels the GRE score silliness, leaving you even. Nothing to feel guilty about.
Well, thanks. It is just crazy to be having so much success when people like butsu and quiz and plenty of people with great grades, research experience, and a higher PGRE score are not getting in to some of these places. I really couldn't be happier though.

VT

Post by VT » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:51 pm

Thats nice of you grae313. But you deserved all those acceptances, so nothing to worry about. I am sure quizivex is already into his favourite P......N and butsu.... is already in UIUC( #1 in CM).

tnoviell

Post by tnoviell » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:43 pm

Grae, I think you underestimate the "determination" factor at some point. Just because someone has some high scores and good research does not necessarily mean they are determined, or they even liked what they were doing. Sometimes people lead a robotic life, doing what they think they should do, or other outside influences. A combination of good scores and experience (which you have), plus a story that shows that you explored other aspects of life and determined that this route was absolutely made for you, makes for a determined employee.

A history class will often credit the downfall of a communist society due to a lack of enthusiasm. For instance, if a farmer in the USSR feels that money makes man, and his farming doesn't make him a particularly interesting sum of cash, then he would probably not be as determined as a capitalist farmer, who knows that in his society, time = money. Obviously, one will most likely work harder than the other.

Proven determination, in combination with a talent, can take a person a far ways in the eyes of others.

(This post was no way intended to be a shot at other people in the forum. It was merely stating that a story of proven determination can take a person a far way.)

butsurigakusha

Post by butsurigakusha » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:53 pm

Yeah, I agree. From what I have read about grae, and from what I know about myself, I would definitely choose her over me if I had to make the choice.

jdhooghe

Post by jdhooghe » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:43 am

You deserve it Grae, don't let this person increase the air pressure inside your bubble.

twistor

Post by twistor » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:23 am

Normally I find blogs inane ane pointless for some reason I find grae313's interesting. Go figure.