How is it to study Physics?

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

Greenangel

How is it to study Physics?

Post by Greenangel » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:59 am

Dear all physicist and physics students,

I am currently an undergraduate student studying environmental science. I was always fascinated by physics, but didn't get a chance to study it beyond my high school. However, I am willing to study Physics in the graduate level (if I manage to do it somehow).

Since I haven't studied university level Physics, I would like you to share your experiences on studying university level Physics. I believe this will help me to understand whether I genuinely want to pursue graduate studies in Physics or if its just a fascination.

Your answer will help me take a major decision in my life.
So thanks in advance.

anchitarora

Re: How is it to study Physics?

Post by anchitarora » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:06 pm

i have a similar question. What is it like to be a physics graduate student and phd physics student. what are opportunities after you complete your phd and how is the life then ?

thatwentwell

Post by thatwentwell » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:55 pm

Honestly I wouldn't take advice from just this forum. Go find a professor or advisor that you have a rapport with (ideally one that taught you some physics) and ask them what its like to study physics. I would also try to get in touch with some physics undergraduates at your school. What it means to study physics is different for everyone, and it definitely depends on your university. Of course you could always study it on your own through the internet and these days that starts with watching interesting youtube videos, reading more about those topics on wikipedia (try not to get stuck in a rabbit hole) and then trying out some open courseware type deal to get some in depth knowledge. Then you will know precisely what it feels to study physics.

If you can't do the above I would post to a more active forum such as reddit.com/r/physics or physics stack exchange or quora.com

varsha sharma

Post by varsha sharma » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:24 am

Hello, everyone

I am student of M.Sc. Physics
I have cracked IIT JAM exam after that I got admission in NIT.
IIT JAM exam is good opportunity for the B.Sc. students to get admission in the IITs , IISc & NITs.
Due to my less marks in the IIT JAM exam I got NIT.
I was also having the same problem what is the career opportunities for the Physics M.Sc.& PhD. students but I have read https://scoop.eduncle.com/iit-jam-caree ... er-msc-phd
Their are many career opportunities for the MSc. & PhD. students
Best of Luck!